• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help bad!

I need help bad I got sleeved in November 2019 then got pregnant December 2019 ‍♀️. I’m currently at 175lbs but my goal was 160 and I’m still not there. My doctor said where I am now I will probably be the next 5 years. How can I lose atleast 15 more pounds. I still have problems getting all my protein in some days and only losing 3-4lbs a month now. I just feel like I ruined my chances at being successful.

Welcome! Where did you start? Sounds like you’ve lost weight since your pregnancy, so that’s something. My NP said the last 15 are quite possible the hardest for some people. We have a thread going on right now about goal weights and whether or not they’re really helpful as far as our on success. You might want to look into the thread just to see some different perspectives. What else is going on that’s made you feel successful? More energy? Smaller clothes? Better blood work results? What lead you to the surgery in the first place?

Hi Crafty, welcome. Try not to think of yourself as being unsuccessful if you do not reach your goal weight. You are very close and I hope you get there. Although I don't know where you started at, I would say if you are still losing any weight at 18 months out is great! It is typical that weight loss will slow down the closer you get to your goal. Last month I was not able to lose weight at all so I actually find it encouraging you are still losing.

Welcome! Where did you start? Sounds like you’ve lost weight since your pregnancy, so that’s something. My NP said the last 15 are quite possible the hardest for some people. We have a thread going on right now about goal weights and whether or not they’re really helpful as far as our on success. You might want to look into the thread just to see some different perspectives. What else is going on that’s made you feel successful? More energy? Smaller clothes? Better blood work results? What lead you to the surgery in the first place?

Well I got pregnant a 2-3 weeks after surgery so I didn’t ever gain and basically been losing since surgery. Thank you I will definitely go check it out. I do like the size I’m at as well as everyone I know but I’m still considered “overweight” so that’s why I’m really trying to get to my goal. I got the surgery because I had been obese all my life and knew I was bound to have health problems in the future if I didn’t make a change. Ironically I now have had high blood pressure since having my baby while I had no health problems at the beginning of my journey. Thanks again for your input.

Hi Crafty, welcome. Try not to think of yourself as being unsuccessful if you do not reach your goal weight. You are very close and I hope you get there. Although I don't know where you started at, I would say if you are still losing any weight at 18 months out is great! It is typical that weight loss will slow down the closer you get to your goal. Last month I was not able to lose weight at all so I actually find it encouraging you are still losing.

thank you so much I hope I get there too. I started at 299 so I feel I’ve done ok just looking for some encouragement I guess because I do feel I’ve failed because I should be at the maintenance stage now.

Your body may have decided that it's where it needs to me. If you try to push more weight loss than what your biology has determined it will defend, you run a bit of risk of slipping into a yo-yo diet cycle because your body may fight against further weight loss. None of us are in full control of where we'll end up. The best thing to do is choose healthy foods, do some moderate resistance exercise to build some muscle mass and keep your metabolism humming along, and be proud of how far you've come!! It's more important that you maintain your weight loss than you lose more. I know it can be frustrating not to reach a goal, but sometimes the stress we put on ourselves to reach that goal isn't helpful either!

Stay positive, be proud, eat healthy, stay hydrated and work in some moderate exercise, especially resistance. You'll be feeling great whether you lose more weight or not!! :)

You’ve lost 124 pounds! Holy cow that’s amazing!! I cannot pay attention to what the BMI chart says about my still being overweight. Mostly because if I go by the BMI chart, I will look ill. I am 5’10, I started at my surgery center at 297, surgery day 280, today I am 192.8. I am not where I set my goal, but it was always a soft goal. I never wanted to concentrate on a goal number to prevent getting frustrated with myself. I’ve already been frustrated with my body for long enough. If I stopped losing today I’d throw myself a freakin party! But I’m barely 6 months post op, so chances are I will still lose some, plus I’m definitely having skin removal. Before I do that though I’m hitting the gym to make sure my muscles are ready for that type of undertaking. That might add a couple pounds, and I’m totally ok with that. The big picture is how healthy I am now compared to where I was, and it feels amazing. You’ve done amazing things since your surgery. You grew a person, lost a lot of weight, and you’re keeping goals in mind, but as we get closer, it’s my opinion to reevaluate goals and tweak them for our own peace of mind.

Back