• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

HELP I am new and have some questions. ......

booboo709

I am going to have a RNY in July and have some questions about what I should be doing to prepare for it and what things should I have ready at home after surgery. What is a good protein shake? How long will I be on a clear liquids? What will they give me for pain in the hospital and for home, see I am a BIG Baby when it comes to pain and I don't want to feel a lot of it. What is the pre-op consist of and when does it start? I am very nervous but I have to do this for my health and heart, so please if anyone can help I would be so grateful. Thank you in advance

Hi I can give you some information however you really need to speak with your surgeon and nurses. Each office has there own requirements. I am with an amazing facility who is very thourough and supportive

Clear liquids - water and decaf tea, chicken broth with sodium
Protein drinks - I like Atkins myself dr also recommended sugar free instant carnation breakfast mix with non fat milk

Pain - they gave me a little button device to push and I found that the headache the pain meds gave me were worse then the surgery pain so asked to be switched to liquid tylonel instead or Motrin (don't remember which one but not a high level drug) when home I tool Tylenol cap lets for a couple of days not the morphine based prescription and was fine

Back