• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help i am so hungry!

MamaQBear

I am 2 months 2 weeks and 3 days post op. I have lost 52 lbs. I started out at 276lb and now I am at 224lb. I feel wonderful. My problem is I am always hungry. I am never full. I never eat more than 6 oz of food at a meal and only 2 oz at snack. I have never dumped because I will not over eat, I take that back, i ate 9 oz one time to see if i would get full. I did not get full. I am hungry. Will this pass? I had Roux en y bypass. Thanks

I am 2 months 2 weeks and 3 days post op. I have lost 52 lbs. I started out at 276lb and now I am at 224lb. I feel wonderful. My problem is I am always hungry. I am never full. I never eat more than 6 oz of food at a meal and only 2 oz at snack. I have never dumped because I will not over eat, I take that back, i ate 9 oz one time to see if i would get full. I did not get full. I am hungry. Will this pass? I had Roux en y bypass. Thanks

Hi MamaQ,

I'm sorry you're struggling. I'm 4 months and 2 weeks post RNY also. I do not feel but I also do not feel hunger either. I do still have cravings and the desire to eat. The surgery is supposed to reduce the hormones that send your brain hunger signals. I'm sure everyone is different but are you sure that what you're feeling is actual hunger and not cravings or desire to eat?

Many of us who were obese used food to self medicate feelings, stress or even boredom.

I would say that if you are are feeling hunger and you really believe it's physical, talk to your doctor. He/she may have tips to get you through this until your body adjusts.

If you step back and look at things and realize that it is coming from your head, you should consider some therapy to help you compartmentalize. Even reading some books about this could help if you're weary of therapy. This is a good list of books:

The 5 Books You Must Read If You Struggle With Food Or Weight

Another that was suggested for me to read is When food is Comfort: When Food Is Comfort: Nurture Yourself Mindfully, Rewire Your Brain, and End Emotional Eating: Julie M. Simon, Omar Manejwala MD: 9781608685509: Amazon.com: Books

I'm planning to read all of these myself so I don't fall back into my old binge-eating once my appetite comes back completely.

I wish you the best of luck and we're here for you! :)

Hello MamaQ- Everything Brenda2010 said is true. Even when we are sure we have this food thing conquered, it sneaks back and is disruptive and insidious. Food tries to take back our lives. Please study what hunger really means to your body. Make sure you aren't dehydrated. Sometimes thirst can pass for hunger. Log your food intake. Make sure carbs don't get the upper hand. Carbs digest too fast and they set us up for craving more and more carbs. I was sleeved 4 months ago and have to be so vigilant with my "hunger" alarms. Good luck!

everything you need to know about beating cravings is summed up. Read and reread and follow these two members.

Oh, and Tex, you should format your post into bullet points and title it and add it to our resources section. Maybe you can even wait for replies here and add the responses of other members, making it a very important resource for people to read when they're in a panic and about to sabotage themselves.

Oh, and Tex, you should format your post into bullet points and title it and add it to our resources section. Maybe you can even wait for replies here and add the responses of other members, making it a very important resource for people to read when they're in a panic and about to sabotage themselves.
I certainly have gained knowledge from reading this post. Thank you for asking MamaQBear; thanks for your replies, Brenda2010 and Texnoble!! This group is awesome!! :D

It is true emotions and boredom can make u want to eat just to be doing something. Get a new hobby. Talk about ur emotions. My therapist has me doing a journal about my emotions and eating habits. Maybe that is something u can do.

Back