• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help! I need calcium citrate!

For all these many years I have had no trouble at all getting calcium citrate. The RDA for women is 1500 milligrams a day. But you can only take 500 mg at a time because the body can't absorb more than that. So I have been taking a 500mg dose three times a day. And of course I never take calcium within 2 hours of taking iron because they cancel each other out.

For the last several weeks I have been looking for calcium citrate. Usually they come in 1000 mg tablets and I break them in half. Exposing the pill inside the coating helps the absorption of the calcium even more.

So I don't know if this is some kind of a conspiracy or what but I have only been able to find calcium in doses of about 620 to 630 mg. Also, most of those times I find calcium carbonate. I use calcium citrate because it is more readily absorbed and available than calcium carbonate.

Did the FDA raise the RDA calcium level for women when I wasn't paying attention? I don't think so. I think it's a scam to get you to pay more for calcium. Believe me, trying to break up a 630 milligram calcium pill and then somehow match it up with mor pills in order to get 500 mg is a feat of which I am not capable.

So I am taking the overdose of calcium three times a day. At very least I am not absorbing the extra calcium because the female body cannot absorb more than 500 ml. But I don't know that for sure because I am not a nutritionist.

Well I don't know what is available in bariatric calcium but I'm not going to pay that kind of money. There has to be a store online that still offers you 500 mg of calcium. Has anyone seen such a store or do you have any idea where I can buy calcium citrate in 1000 mg or 500 mg sizes? They really need to be tablets, not capsules. Tablets breakdown better. And my metabolic panel agree with that.

Does anyone have any insight?

Thank you El. That's a really good price and if I buy it from another seller since it isn't Prime eligible, I will pay exactly the same and get free shipping. I'm going to be stocking up baby!

I would love to hear a recap of your year, near-surgery-twin. I know I have read all your posts from the beginning, but your whole story would be fascinating to hear, and inspirational for the newbies.

Thank you El. That's a really good price and if I buy it from another seller since it isn't Prime eligible, I will pay exactly the same and get free shipping. I'm going to be stocking up baby!

I would love to hear a recap of your year, near-surgery-twin. I know I have read all your posts from the beginning, but your whole story would be fascinating to hear, and inspirational for the newbies.
I will work on that! I'll try to post it this weekend.

El, thank you for your suggestion. I went to Amazon and I bought the product you recommended. I have never seen a bottle of calcium that was the same size as a quart mason jar. I could barely lift it!

But it is so important to take calcium citrate instead of calcium carbonate. I have now stocked up on calcium. I have at least six bottles of it by different brands.

Diane, I’ve had a hard time finding just calcium. My dietician suggested calcium with vitamin D. I’m taking the chewable Celebrate ones and they taste great.

Diane, I’ve had a hard time finding just calcium. My dietician suggested calcium with vitamin D. I’m taking the chewable Celebrate ones and they taste great.

I have now found five different sources for calcium with and without other vitamins attached. I think I have enough calcium for the next two years!;)

Back