• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help me find a Nutritionist

Greenj10

I had my RNY in MPLS, I live in Chicago. Any thoughts on finding a NUT in network? Hospital here says nope since I did’nt have my RNY here.

Since I was self pay for surgery elsewhere, out of country, I had my primary care refer me to a nutritionist. My insurance covers preventative care and weight loss programs but not surgery. So it will cover the nutritionist. I like to remember that doctors, nutritionists, etc... have a choice how to bill stuff. So it is lame of them to tell you that a nutritionist is not available to you.

You could say, "I need a nutritionist, I dont know if I am getting the right foods in general. I would like to learn how to take better care of yourself." Not mention the surgery, and they would just refer you.

Personally, I feel that this is neglect and a fear of litigation from our health care professionals and not based on this actually being unavailable to you.

I would start with your primary care, and if that is unsuccessful, I would call your old doctor to help. If you dont feel like omitting, maybe records and transferring your care to another surgeon who can hook you up would help.

To be successful anyway, you need someone to order the blood work for the nutritionist, so you need a doctor who will do that. Do you have that?

Back