• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help! My name is Julie, i just had the sleeve

I'm 3 weeks out from having my surgery and having a really tough time. I have to go back to work but I am exhausted and shaky all the time and I've gained weight this week. My body is starving, I feel like I'm on drugs. Help please! If anyone likes to text 760-626-5552

Hi Julie
I totally understand what you are feeling. Your body has experienced a trauma and the lack of calories and healing can make you feel cruddy. Are you getting your protein and fluid goals in daily? I am 9 weeks post op and it does get better, I promise! feel free to reach out to me for support.

Hi Julie
I totally understand what you are feeling. Your body has experienced a trauma and the lack of calories and healing can make you feel cruddy. Are you getting your protein and fluid goals in daily? I am 9 weeks post op and it does get better, I promise! feel free to reach out to me for support.
Hello, thanks so much for replying. I'm like over 2 months out now, and I did get a lot better. But I worked too much and my stomach was stressed and hurting most of the time again, so I flew home from my job in Atlanta. My job makes me work, 6 days a week, 10 to 15 hours a day, for months at a time. My stomach is calming now, I've been home 6 days already.

Hello, thanks so much for replying. I'm like over 2 months out now, and I did get a lot better. But I worked too much and my stomach was stressed and hurting most of the time again, so I flew home from my job in Atlanta. My job makes me work, 6 days a week, 10 to 15 hours a day, for months at a time. My stomach is calming now, I've been home 6 days already.
What do you do for work? I travel for my job (healthcare) and I work 12 hr night shifts. I find it challenging to adjust my wls journey when I'm on the road. But I'm so glad you are doing better :)

Some tips that might help:
  • keep a food journal and write down everything you eat, right down to the crumbs
  • in your food journal, make a list of foods based on bariatric eating programs. Design your daily diet based on those and check off the boxes
  • in the same journal, or another, write down your feelings, including any grief you feel because you miss pigging out or sneaking food
  • write down your secrets and don't share them with anyone
  • go to the FDA site and study food values in calories, protein grams, RDAs and every aspect of food before you eat it
  • make your food plan, AND prepare your food, the night before and weigh and measure EVERYTHING
  • stay out of minimarts, 7-11 stores and the snack aisle in grocery stores.
  • find a new type of treat, like sugar-free jello or pudding, juicy ripe fruits, yummy salads with simple dressings you can make
  • on the road? stay out of diners.
  • follow any post-op diet you were given when you had surgery, or when you're about to have surgery
  • study affirmations and repeat them all day long
  • learn to zap those negative messages you got from your family or friends as you grew up. use affirmations to shoot them out of the sky.
After a while you'll form new habits. Try to obliterate your old comfortable habits that led to obesity.

And something I found hugely helpful on my way to losing 115 pounds: learn to be nakedly honest with yourself. Just you talking to you, staying private, not secretive. You deserve privacy and good health and delicious food and you can have them all at once. People will try to sabotage you, especially if they have weight problems, because misery loves company. Just wrap your arms around your body and give yourself hugs all day long.

Back