• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

HELP passed out on pre-op diet

HW: 283, CW 267. I'm on day 5 of the pre-op diet. Yesterday (Saturday) was scary. I am glad my daughter is an RN. I got hypoglycemic and actually passed out for a minute when I tried to stand up around 2 pm. I had had 2 Premier Protein drinks and 3 oz of tuna by that time. She went to the store and got me several fresh vegetables. I ate a cup of cooked squash; that helped for about 20 minutes, but then it came back. I called the Bariatric Clinic; they have not yet responded. I counted up the grams of carbs on the plan they have me on.... with 3 Premier Protein drinks and one cup of low-carb vegetables, that amounts to 1.5 grams of sugar for each drink, times 3, plus around 20 grams of carb for one cup of vegetables, equals about 26 grams of carbs per day.

Is this too low for me? I am not able to do anything except lie on the couch and go to the bathroom. I am 65 years old.

HELP

Oh, I forgot to say, even though you've been in contact with your team, really ramp up your phone calls. Bug them until they get back to you. Even though this has happened to others, that doesn't mean it happened for the same reason. Don't diagnose yourself. Insist on speaking to your doc and say you'll be happy to come to the waiting room, sit and wait to be squeezed in.

As Judy said, it happened to her. As I said, it didn't happen to me. It's not a coin toss. Ask a professional.

Back