• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help with Carb Cravings, Tips or Tricks?

Hey guys,
My name is Ellie, I am a bit new here, I have PCOS, and I have spoken with my dietician who has helped me to understand that my carb cravings is linked to my PCOS. I've been keeping a food journal ( Per dieticians request)( and was wondering has anyone else struggled with this? What has helped you? :)

I'm so sorry you're struggling with PCOS. In my research, the treatments are sundry and various, but there's no cure and for many women, the cure is ironically difficult. The best thing you can do is follow a healthy diet, which I'm sure was already discussed with your dietician. The payoff will be wonderful, though. Of course, you could also opt for surgical intervention and more invasive procedures, but if you want to have children, some of these will put a stop to that dream.

All I can say is, I wish you luck and relief.

Actually it turns out I love roasted veg. You can also roast chick peas until they're crunchy. Or eat radish slices with hummus.
I was a bread o holic! Lol just try the veg. You'll be amazed how quickly your taste cam change.

As with everything that tastes good, chickpeas are high in carbs. Take them in small portions, like a tablespoon at a time. And hummus is made with chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and tahini, also high in calories per portion.

Even carrots are relatively high in carbs.

Stick to celery; or leafy greens, which you can doll up with spices and spray with a healthy oil the spices can cling to.

I believe we've agreed to disagree on healthy carbs lol (and peanut butter )

The recommendation for adults is for 50% of your calories be from carbs. My bariatric dietician recommends 35% protein, 35% carbs, and 30% fat as my macros goal.

Carbs are not inherently bad. Neither are all higher calorie foods. The more processed a food is, the worse it gets for you. Beans? High in protein, and filling. Natural PB? Same! Processed with added sugars and palm oil? High in calories, sugars and added fats. Give it a pass. Which is why I make most of my own foods, including hummus.

My guess is you're not craving beans anyway. You're probably craving bread, rolls, biscuits, cake, Doritos etc. Try to find a natural, minimally processed alternative that you can enjoy. The highest carb count beans are still better for you than Doritos.

Back