• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help!!

Hi All,
So glad to have found this forum!! I had gastric sleeve back in 2016 - I did really great for 4+years!! Got to my goal weight happy as could be for the first time in my life. Than it slowly happened, I started putting on weight first it was 5pounds, than 10 pounds, and before you know it I'm up 35pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so incredibly upset with myself, I can't stand it!! I too eat at night seems like an on going theme!! I really

Hi All,
So glad to have found this forum!! I had gastric sleeve back in 2016 - I did really great for 4+years!! Got to my goal weight happy as could be for the first time in my life. Than it slowly happened, I started putting on weight first it was 5pounds, than 10 pounds, and before you know it I'm up 35pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so incredibly upset with myself, I can't stand it!! I too eat at night seems like an on going theme!! I really
Welcome! You'll see that there are quite a few people on here that have dealt with the weight regain - you can even search in the toolbar at the top to see some of their stories. I'm glad you're here too to help share what you've learned for newbies like me!

Everyone I talk to who has had regain always talks about getting back to Bariatric basics. Focusing on protein first and then adding vegetables and some fruit. Making sure you are getting plenty of fluids and practicing mindful eating. As I am a newbie like Nymiria I can’t give you any advice from a personal perspective. Glad you found us and I hope someone chimes in with some words of wisdom who has been through it!

Knowing that you are stressing is no fun. Knowing that you are here is a blessing. It is a good place to find support, vent, share , research, and bring yourself back into check. I am just 15 months past surgery, everyday there are still challenges. I am still working towards onederland but I feel confident that one day it will happen. May you find the support you desire here, we are on your side no matter what. Remember a backslide can be reversed, you have the power and courage to achieve success.

Hello and welcome, Lena. You've come to the right place. We have members in all stages of pre and post op, including those like yourself who are struggling years out. Sadly, many don't stay because it is a struggle, and no one wants to admit that. Or due to the occasional rude and un-helpful comments to "stop eating". As if ANYONE who needed WLS can't understand the urge to overeat.

I am about to hit 2 years in June and am already noticing that it's much easier to put on a few pounds and a lot harder to lose them.
I am only a few lbs above my acceptable range. But I was sticking to that range fairly easily and am currently having a hell of time getting below my max allowed weight. I don't even know what happened, except I guess I became complacent. So, now I'm refocused (ish lol) and am going back to basics myself.

Protein FIRST - 80g
Water - I'm up to a gallon ... if I need to keep my mouth busy, extra water is a great way to go.
Measuring and/or weighing food so I am eating the correct portion sizes.
Meal Planning and Prepping so I have smart snacks ready to eat, leaving myself less open to bad choices when I open the fridge.
No late night snacking .. which isn't going as well as I'd like BUT see above! lol

Welcome Lena!! I’m glad you found the group and willing to vent your frustration over regaining weight. Please be kind to yourself and as many have advised, go back to basics. I’m only 2 months out from VSG so I have not experienced weight gain, but I know it is real and to try to continue to be mindful. It happens and it’s ok. If journaling helps, try tracking your emotions or reasons why you’re making the food choices you are at that moment. But please continue to talk it out so that you can release that guilt/anger/frustration/etc and get back to feeling like you can control the situation. Best of luck❤️

Hello Lena,

Same boat. I'm about 2 and 1/2 years out from my gastric sleeve. Never reached my goal weight but was down 82lbs. Currently sitting at a 37lb regain (OUCH that hurts to see the numbers written out :(:(). I reached out to my surgeon, although I know what to do (back to basics) I'm struggling getting my butt in gear. So here's what I'm doing just in case it helps you:
  1. Log your food. Doesn't matter if you're not back on your healthy eating. Write it all down cause man it's an eye opening experience. Never thought I could consume 3,000 calories in a day again but I sure can.
  2. Stop drinking alcohol (this one is a huge struggle for me right now). It's empty calories and apparently I have no self control now. Pre-surgery I would drink 3 beverages, now I won't seem to stop until I kill a bottle of wine or my BF says that's enough. :oops: In either case it makes my decent calorie day from around 1500-1800 cals going into the 2500 - 3000 cals (or even over if I'm doing mixed drinks at a restaurant).
  3. Back to basics. At least 80g of protein. My surgeon said plus or minus 20gs is fine, 50g of carbs, and originally 1000 calories. However, after I found myself struggling with this, he agreed to 1200. You can always do the bariatric liquid diet for 3 days to jump start your weight loss. I tried to but finding a protein that agrees with my stomach isn't easy. Exercise, even if it's just a 20 min walk. It's better than doing absolutely nothing.
  4. Water, water, water. I use to be GREAT at drinking water prior to surgery. Not so much anymore. Bare minimum get 64 ounces, but push for more if you can do it.
  5. Reach out to your surgeon and nutritionist. Kind of sucks but I'm back to seeing my surgeon once a month, weighing in and have an upcoming appointment with the nutritionist next month. My 1st weigh in went ok, my second I gained a pound or 2 and a serious discussion followed. Some of us need those talks from our doctor.
  6. Don't follow diets. I found myself back to old ways looking for the next best diet/fad around. I did that for years and it never worked. Why would it work now? I needed surgery for a reason.
  7. Be nice to yourself. Those old voices from when I was heavier are getting louder and meaner. I have to remind myself, it's just a moment in time and I'll get back on track. I did it before and I can do it again.

Good luck my friend! We're in this together. You are NOT alone. You are not a failure!

Hello and welcome, Lena. You've come to the right place. We have members in all stages of pre and post op, including those like yourself who are struggling years out. Sadly, many don't stay because it is a struggle, and no one wants to admit that. Or due to the occasional rude and un-helpful comments to "stop eating". As if ANYONE who needed WLS can't understand the urge to overeat.

I am about to hit 2 years in June and am already noticing that it's much easier to put on a few pounds and a lot harder to lose them.
I am only a few lbs above my acceptable range. But I was sticking to that range fairly easily and am currently having a hell of time getting below my max allowed weight. I don't even know what happened, except I guess I became complacent. So, now I'm refocused (ish lol) and am going back to basics myself.

Protein FIRST - 80g
Water - I'm up to a gallon ... if I need to keep my mouth busy, extra water is a great way to go.
Measuring and/or weighing food so I am eating the correct portion sizes.
Meal Planning and Prepping so I have smart snacks ready to eat, leaving myself less open to bad choices when I open the fridge.
No late night snacking .. which isn't going as well as I'd like BUT see above! lol

Hello Lena,

Same boat. I'm about 2 and 1/2 years out from my gastric sleeve. Never reached my goal weight but was down 82lbs. Currently sitting at a 37lb regain (OUCH that hurts to see the numbers written out :(:(). I reached out to my surgeon, although I know what to do (back to basics) I'm struggling getting my butt in gear. So here's what I'm doing just in case it helps you:
  1. Log your food. Doesn't matter if you're not back on your healthy eating. Write it all down cause man it's an eye opening experience. Never thought I could consume 3,000 calories in a day again but I sure can.
  2. Stop drinking alcohol (this one is a huge struggle for me right now). It's empty calories and apparently I have no self control now. Pre-surgery I would drink 3 beverages, now I won't seem to stop until I kill a bottle of wine or my BF says that's enough. :oops: In either case it makes my decent calorie day from around 1500-1800 cals going into the 2500 - 3000 cals (or even over if I'm doing mixed drinks at a restaurant).
  3. Back to basics. At least 80g of protein. My surgeon said plus or minus 20gs is fine, 50g of carbs, and originally 1000 calories. However, after I found myself struggling with this, he agreed to 1200. You can always do the bariatric liquid diet for 3 days to jump start your weight loss. I tried to but finding a protein that agrees with my stomach isn't easy. Exercise, even if it's just a 20 min walk. It's better than doing absolutely nothing.
  4. Water, water, water. I use to be GREAT at drinking water prior to surgery. Not so much anymore. Bare minimum get 64 ounces, but push for more if you can do it.
  5. Reach out to your surgeon and nutritionist. Kind of sucks but I'm back to seeing my surgeon once a month, weighing in and have an upcoming appointment with the nutritionist next month. My 1st weigh in went ok, my second I gained a pound or 2 and a serious discussion followed. Some of us need those talks from our doctor.
  6. Don't follow diets. I found myself back to old ways looking for the next best diet/fad around. I did that for years and it never worked. Why would it work now? I needed surgery for a reason.
  7. Be nice to yourself. Those old voices from when I was heavier are getting louder and meaner. I have to remind myself, it's just a moment in time and I'll get back on track. I did it before and I can do it again.
Good luck my friend! We're in this together. You are NOT alone. You are not a failure!

Knowing that you are stressing is no fun. Knowing that you are here is a blessing. It is a good place to find support, vent, share , research, and bring yourself back into check. I am just 15 months past surgery, everyday there are still challenges. I am still working towards onederland but I feel confident that one day it will happen. May you find the support you desire here, we are on your side no matter what. Remember a backslide can be reversed, you have the power and courage to achieve success.

Welcome Lena!! I’m glad you found the group and willing to vent your frustration over regaining weight. Please be kind to yourself and as many have advised, go back to basics. I’m only 2 months out from VSG so I have not experienced weight gain, but I know it is real and to try to continue to be mindful. It happens and it’s ok. If journaling helps, try tracking your emotions or reasons why you’re making the food choices you are at that moment. But please continue to talk it out so that you can release that guilt/anger/frustration/etc and get back to feeling like you can control the situation. Best of luck❤

Lena and Jess ... Just FYI, if you track using the MyFitnessPal app, you can become friends, which will allow you to see certain things, (not everything cuz heaven forbid LOL) But when I was using it, I was "friends" with my doctor, and it would tell me if she had logged her food and exercise that day.

It really kept me motivated to keep logging and keep exercising cuz I didn't want to disappoint her, or hear about it next visit lol You can PM eachother your email addresses OR myfitnesspal names, if you are looking for a true accountability buddy.

I am currently using Baritastic, but am considering switching since my husband had the sleeve in Feb. We eat so many of the same meals that it's a pain to track it twice. But, I have all my recipes on Baritastic so I'm still unsure. If I do switch, I would totally be down for accountability buddies.

Lena and Jess ... Just FYI, if you track using the MyFitnessPal app, you can become friends, which will allow you to see certain things, (not everything cuz heaven forbid LOL) But when I was using it, I was "friends" with my doctor, and it would tell me if she had logged her food and exercise that day.

It really kept me motivated to keep logging and keep exercising cuz I didn't want to disappoint her, or hear about it next visit lol You can PM eachother your email addresses OR myfitnesspal names, if you are looking for a true accountability buddy.

I am currently using Baritastic, but am considering switching since my husband had the sleeve in Feb. We eat so many of the same meals that it's a pain to track it twice. But, I have all my recipes on Baritastic so I'm still unsure. If I do switch, I would totally be down for accountability buddies.

Oh that's cool!! I also use Baritastic, my Drs office can log in and see what I've been logging so I have to stick with that. Plus it has all my weight information since before the surgery. But thank you so much, that's cool you can do all that in MyFitnessPal.

That sounds really cool, having an accountability buddy as part of that app. I am so greatly blessed that my surgery twin and I found each other. We talk and text daily, encourage each other whenever we slip up, cheer each other on, and laugh a lot!!!

We try to walk everyday, and we both are getting stronger and have more endurance (as long as my bladder can hold on bc of my drinking 8 16oz bottles of water daily lol). Usually the park restrooms are unlocked, but omg it's a disaster in the making if they're locked up!

But it sounds like myfitnesspal is a close second to what I have. Good luck everyone. ❤❤❤❤

Back