• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hematoma along incision/staple line

Lesa Marie

7 weeks post op and I was diagnosed in the ER last night with a hematoma along staple line from where the sleeve was made. They said it is a pocket of blood that has formed on the outside of the incision line of where the stomach was cut. No leaks so I was able to go home thank the Lord but my doc told the trauma doc to have me come in Monday to have a scope done to take a better look at it. He kept asking me several times if I experience any pain in my abdomen and all I have is a burning sensation that I chalk up to as having indigestion. I wish I would have asked if it’s safe to continue exercising but I forgot or if I need to not eat certain foods temporarily? Has anyone experienced anything like this with their sleeve? The plus side is that all my blood work came back great so there’s no sign of any infection and my body is doing it’s job by absorbing all the nutrients and vitamins I’m taking so I’m very thankful for that.

**Update…. Went to see my surgeon yesterday and he said that the small pocket of blood is showing no signs of becoming worse or any kind of danger to me in the future. I was not told in the ER the size of it so I’m glad to know it is pretty small. He said it should dissolve on its own but if it doesn’t that’s fine too. He also looked at the stitch line on the CT scan and said it looks great and there wasn’t even any swelling around that pocket. It’s probably been there for a while now. But all in all that was wonderful news and I’m very thankful for him and this body the Lord gave me that has put up with everything I’ve put it through.

Back