• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hey Bill check it out

I didn't realize they had a movies category in the Forum. You and I spent all our movie chat in general chat instead of specifically being here.

Regardless of what's going on with the Seahawks at 5 p.m., I am changing the channel to watch the Golden Globes. I am convinced that award shows are fixed so there's very little point in my watching except for the eye candy. I'm trying to stay upbeat even though Christian Bale, my idol, will not get best actor, though he deserves it.

By the way remind me that I owe you an unsnappy comeback from our last conversation on film.

I’m going to watch too .I read Christian Bale is sick so he won’t be there . Have you seen Parasite ? It seems to be winning a lot of best picture categories I haven’t seen it but if it’s anything like Crazy Rich Aisans then I won’t .M mostly watching for Scarlett Johansson I love her except Marriage Story sucked but I liked her last movie JoJo Rabbit

I actually couldn't make it through the whole broadcast. The choices and the winners made me feel like I was in Upside-Down-World. And it was boring and superficial.

The thing about awards bodies is that they used to be rare and were based on quality, not popularity. Most of the time, the Oscar winners made sense, though the discrimination against women and people of color was always there and rarely controversial, though it should have been.

I haven't seen Parasite but I want to. I've missed a lot of movies because I live way, way, way below the poverty line, so I have almost no entertainment budget. I mentioned before that I spent a lot of money to see Ford V. Ferrari in IMAX, and it was completely worth it. But I wanted to see Honeyboy, which will soon come out on Prime, and I joined Prime specifically for the video feed. I'm looking forward to it, and it is one of those films directed by a woman who should have been nominated everywhere. The other film I wanted to see by a woman director was A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood by the brilliant Marielle Heller. But I can't stand Mr. Rogers! Argh! He always seemed so phony & unimaginitive, I didn't even want my toddler to watch him. But I didn't forbid it. The fact that I'd sit through a movie about him is a testament to my respect for Marielle.

I hated Crazy Rich Asians and am glad I didn't spend cinema money to see it. Talk about fake hype! It was racist and demeaning. I don't need to watch more sad, futile, violent movies. I've already had enough of that in my actual life, and in movies, the topics are oversaturated. That's why Marriage Story, for me, sucked. I already had all those fights and met all those people and I don't want to live it again.

But remember my never-spoken snappy comeback I owe you? I was talking to someone about your comment that the reason women directors lagged behind males is because they don't often make movies that men like. I didn't think very deeply about that statement because it seemed to be the right explanation. But the woman I was talking to about it said, "Oh, so, men need to be pleased by women all the time, and if they don't please men, they don't count?" Uh-oh. She's right. Semantically the message there is about men believing they should be pleasured by women and if they don't, men won't pay attention.

I can't be hard on you about that because, as I said, it seemed true. But it's wrong and the way you can test its veracity is to use racism instead of sexism to suss it out. "I, a white person, won't see movies by black directors because they don't appeal to my white interests." Awkwardly said, but you get it, I'm sure. Most people don't realize that sexism is as bad as racism or anti-Semitism because women, from the dawn of time, have been property of men and in that role, have been abused, raped, killed, decapitated, chained, imprisoned, forced into labor, traded and sold to other men, etc. It's been like that ever since Eve took the fall for eating the apple. Women are the cause of all sin, so they are punished by painful childbirth. It actually says that in Genesis.

I went a little over the top just to make my point. I'm just as ingrained with sexism as anyone else, because I've been conditioned since I was born, and it takes enormous effort to think differently.

You know the riddle about the father and son who got in a crash and were taken to the local hospital, where the father died and the son was in need of emergency surgery? The doctor walked in and said, "I cannot operate on my own son!" What? But I thought the father died in the wreck.... oh.... wait a minute.

The surgeon was his mother.

Duh.

We have a long way to go and we might not even have enough time to make it.

Hi Di
I actually couldn't make it through the whole broadcast. The choices and the winners made me feel like I was in Upside-Down-World. And it was boring and superficial.

The thing about awards bodies is that they used to be rare and were based on quality, not popularity. Most of the time, the Oscar winners made sense, though the discrimination against women and people of color was always there and rarely controversial, though it should have been.

I haven't seen Parasite but I want to. I've missed a lot of movies because I live way, way, way below the poverty line, so I have almost no entertainment budget. I mentioned before that I spent a lot of money to see Ford V. Ferrari in IMAX, and it was completely worth it. But I wanted to see Honeyboy, which will soon come out on Prime, and I joined Prime specifically for the video feed. I'm looking forward to it, and it is one of those films directed by a woman who should have been nominated everywhere. The other film I wanted to see by a woman director was A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood by the brilliant Marielle Heller. But I can't stand Mr. Rogers! Argh! He always seemed so phony & unimaginitive, I didn't even want my toddler to watch him. But I didn't forbid it. The fact that I'd sit through a movie about him is a testament to my respect for Marielle.

I hated Crazy Rich Asians and am glad I didn't spend cinema money to see it. Talk about fake hype! It was racist and demeaning. I don't need to watch more sad, futile, violent movies. I've already had enough of that in my actual life, and in movies, the topics are oversaturated. That's why Marriage Story, for me, sucked. I already had all those fights and met all those people and I don't want to live it again.

But remember my never-spoken snappy comeback I owe you? I was talking to someone about your comment that the reason women directors lagged behind males is because they don't often make movies that men like. I didn't think very deeply about that statement because it seemed to be the right explanation. But the woman I was talking to about it said, "Oh, so, men need to be pleased by women all the time, and if they don't please men, they don't count?" Uh-oh. She's right. Semantically the message there is about men believing they should be pleasured by women and if they don't, men won't pay attention.

I can't be hard on you about that because, as I said, it seemed true. But it's wrong and the way you can test its veracity is to use racism instead of sexism to suss it out. "I, a white person, won't see movies by black directors because they don't appeal to my white interests." Awkwardly said, but you get it, I'm sure. Most people don't realize that sexism is as bad as racism or anti-Semitism because women, from the dawn of time, have been property of men and in that role, have been abused, raped, killed, decapitated, chained, imprisoned, forced into labor, traded and sold to other men, etc. It's been like that ever since Eve took the fall for eating the apple. Women are the cause of all sin, so they are punished by painful childbirth. It actually says that in Genesis.

I went a little over the top just to make my point. I'm just as ingrained with sexism as anyone else, because I've been conditioned since I was born, and it takes enormous effort to think differently.

You know the riddle about the father and son who got in a crash and were taken to the local hospital, where the father died and the son was in need of emergency surgery? The doctor walked in and said, "I cannot operate on my own son!" What? But I thought the father died in the wreck.... oh.... wait a minute.

The surgeon was his mother.

Duh.

We have a long way to go and we might not even have enough time to make it.
Hi Diane I’m just one of those people who doesn’t care if a movie is made by a man ,woman ,black ,Asian ,Mexican I don’t care if it appeals to me I’ll go and see it I saw A Beautiful Day in The Neighborhood and just thought it was ok. There’s a lot of women who make movies out there I sometimes don’t even bother to notice if a movie was made by a man or woman. I don’t need a violent or sex movie if it’s made from a woman as long as it’s good. I think most movies that are made by men are manly directed towards men because I think guys like the Dirty Harry,James Bond , John Wick ,and super hero type movies .Me I like a good comedy. Women make movies geared towards women like Little Women, Fried Green Tomatoes. Correct me if I’m wrong. I have seen those movies too by the way and liked them. Whatever happened to Amy Heckerman I loved her movies they appealed to men and women. Anyway like I said before I don’t care as long as it’s a good movie. M going to see 1917 on Friday. I know it’s directed by a man and it’s probably a violent war movie but I’ve been looking forward to seeing it ever since I saw a preview for it. I just hope it doesn’t suck like last years Dunkirk. Yes a war movie with violence I thought was boring.Hacksaw Ridge on the other hand was a fantastic movie.As for the awards last night I thought Ricky Jervis was a jerk was happy that Tarantino won and Brad Pitt.

I love the fact that you have strong opinions and always are very straightforward. I did mention this before but how about Mary Harron fighting hard for the right to direct American Psycho? She also did I Shot Andy Warhol. Both movies relied on story and were awesome. I think I've watched AP a dozen times, maybe closer to 20 times. And I only have ISAW on VHS, so it's a pain to watch these days with DVD technology being so easy. And I loved Platoon and Apocalypse Now! even though they were Vietnam stories, which I can barely stand to watch, since I witnessed it so intimately in my teens and 20s. I am unable to watch them again, though. It's just too painful.

I'm dying for your review of 1917. That's a movie I have no desire to see, and man, is it being hyped! There are august film critics calling it the best film ever made.

But I agree with Joaquin Phoenix: There are no "BESTS." I could never come up with an absolute like that. There are just too many creative people who do things equally well to choose one.

Right now I am listening to an Iranian Muslim friend who is weeping and swearing retribution on Trump and saying he hates America. The way he thinks of things is indoctrination from Iranian martyr culture. I'm trying to show him love and urge him to choose peace, but he's just a kid and is in terrible pain. It would be tragic if we couldn't be friends because of what goes on in the world. But his voice is showing me how trivial some things are, like movie awards. And ... oh well. I can't go on. I'm just afraid.

I totally agree with you and Joaquin Phoenix there are no best movies.I don’t think they should even have awards for movies or music for that matter out of the movies nominated I’ve seen better this year than those . Feel for your Muslim friend ,they must all be pretty afraid right now who knows what’s going to happen next because of the idiot we have for a president.Im afraid too. Oh Oh guess getting a little political now don’t know if that’s bad or good. I just know what I know .

No problem. I can't even express my feelings and opinions about Cheeto because the Secret Service would be all over me. You too, for that matter. But what's going to happen next is there will be some act of vengeance and no one can stop it. Dylan said, "When you got nothing/You got nothin to lose." There are lines you don't cross unless you're evil. The rest of this post is unspoken, but it involves making the right choices.

I've always wished there was a dedicated "Politics" forum here. But you can say anything political you want in General Chat. The only thing we have to fear is being flamed.

But I am going to try to calm down and maintain focus on the mission of this group, which is support for people who have, or plan to have, bariatric surgery. That might help me stay on track and not be so afraid and sad.

No problem. I can't even express my feelings and opinions about Cheeto because the Secret Service would be all over me. You too, for that matter. But what's going to happen next is there will be some act of vengeance and no one can stop it. Dylan said, "When you got nothing/You got nothin to lose." There are lines you don't cross unless you're evil. The rest of this post is unspoken, but it involves making the right choices.

I've always wished there was a dedicated "Politics" forum here. But you can say anything political you want in General Chat. The only thing we have to fear is being flamed.

But I am going to try to calm down and maintain focus on the mission of this group, which is support for people who have, or plan to have, bariatric surgery. That might help me stay on track and not be so afraid and sad.
Very good idea there’s some new people I’ve seen that need support they deserve the attention

Back