• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi all I'm new here ..

This is a very informative group of people we have here :) I am waiting until my insurance starts accepting authorizations from surgeons. I think mine will start in June. I am completed with everything accept insurance approval and surgery. You should call your insurance company and ask if they are accepting authorizations. I was waiting for a month not knowing what was going on and finally was told that. Coulda saved me alot of stress if I knew that at the beginning.

I just joined today, too. I have my surgery date as June 15th. I have so many questions but with Covid and people working from home, it is hard to get doctor's offices to call me back. I will let you know how everything goes and we can support one another.
Nice I’m excited. Hopefully my surgery will be mid to end June that’s what I’m hoping for. Which surgery are you having?

This is a very informative group of people we have here :) I am waiting until my insurance starts accepting authorizations from surgeons. I think mine will start in June. I am completed with everything accept insurance approval and surgery. You should call your insurance company and ask if they are accepting authorizations. I was waiting for a month not knowing what was going on and finally was told that. Coulda saved me alot of stress if I knew that at the beginning.
Good idea. I’ll call my insurance Monday

Welcome! You’ll find a lot of great support and resources here. I’ll have my surgery in about 3 months. This group has been great to follow with because there are so many people at different stages of the WLS journey. Lots of advice, help, and shoulders to lean on.

Just in hopes of meeting new people who are on a similar journey. I finally finished all my requirements on Monday doctor will submit my paperwork to the insurance . Hopefully surgery date will be soon.
Welcome to the group! Which surgery are you having? I wish you the best of luck on your journey! And don't forget (not that anyone here will let you ;)) we are more than happy to answer any questions you may have. If you haven't already, look back through older posts and you will get some great info. If you are curious about specific things (like cravings, pain, hair loss, etc.) you can simply use the search function to pull up posts that reference whatever you are looking for.

Welcome to the group! Which surgery are you having? I wish you the best of luck on your journey! And don't forget (not that anyone here will let you ;)) we are more than happy to answer any questions you may have. If you haven't already, look back through older posts and you will get some great info. If you are curious about specific things (like cravings, pain, hair loss, etc.) you can simply use the search function to pull up posts that reference whatever you are looking for.

ThanksI'm having the gastric sleeve. I've done lots of research and I feel this is the best one for me. The only thing I'm afraid of is the hair loss .I already have thin hair to begin with. I hear it's inevitable.

ThanksI'm having the gastric sleeve. I've done lots of research and I feel this is the best one for me. The only thing I'm afraid of is the hair loss .I already have thin hair to begin with. I hear it's inevitable.
I understand your fear. I too have very thin hair and stressed over the hair loss for quite awhile. My hair loss has slowed quit a bit (dare I say it is almost stopped?) and it wasn't as bad as I expected. I know everyone's experience is different, but most of my hair loss happened around my temples and further back into the hair line along those parts as well as along my center part. I ended up having to change my part from a side part to more of a diagonal part, starting at the center of my head at my hair line and going diagonal backwards. It allowed all the actual parts to be covered and pull hair from the top of my head to cover the areas that were lacking. I also used Toppix hair fibers that my stylist recommended to me. They were great for days when I wanted to pull my hair back, because the hair thinning is still noticeable when I do that. You simply spray some of the fibers on the area that is thin and it fills it in.

On the Brightside, the hair loss doesn't continue forever. I now have all of these little hairs sticking out all over the top of my head... finally some regrowth! Now there are people on here that have not had the hair grow back but some that have. I have no idea what you should expect, but fingers crossed! Even if my hair hadn't started coming back, I would have been okay with it. I wouldn't have traded the decision to have the surgery in order to keep my hair for anything. I hope you will feel the same way when the time comes.

Back