• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi all, new here. Awaiting my sleeve surgery date

Nancy S

I hope everyone is doing well. I am 33 and 300lbs. I’m 5’6 and live in NY. Insurance wants me to get to 282 or close then I can schedule my surgery. I am getting excited since I joined a fb group and have seen all the amazing pics from all different ages. I have 2 kids (1 and 8) So I just have been feeling it’s time to do something. I feel like a 90 year old when I try to even bend to clean the fridge. I’m ready to start living my best life in a “new” body. Any tips to help lose the weight? I have been trying to eat better n doing the elliptical at home.

Welcome!! I’m preop too. I’ve gone from 297 in January to 286 now. Not a lot, but one of the things that’s helped so far is beginning the mental transformation that is required to be successful after surgery. I am 3 appointments out and 2 tests away from my info being sent to my insurance. I’m definitely eating fewer sweet, and rarely get take out. I’m drinking water 95% of the time. Coffee or tea the other 5%. Switching to decaf was not hard, but sometimes I just need that little boost. I’m using a smaller plate for meals, and I’m watching how quickly I eat and paying attention to how I eat- small, thorough bites. I’ve finally stopped drinking water with my meals, which was my biggest challenge. I don’t drink alcohol, well before I did some, but I’ve stopped. I get in at least one protein shake a day, especially if I know my meals will be lacking protein. I have 3 kids, twin 9 yo and an 11 yo. I know what you mean when you say you feel 90 and I am right there with you! I’ve got 2 bad knees, a bad back, and bad hips. I’m just falling’ apart! LOL But I look at this surgery as a tool to help ease a lot of that pain. I wish you luck!!

Welcome!! I’m preop too. I’ve gone from 297 in January to 286 now. Not a lot, but one of the things that’s helped so far is beginning the mental transformation that is required to be successful after surgery. I am 3 appointments out and 2 tests away from my info being sent to my insurance. I’m definitely eating fewer sweet, and rarely get take out. I’m drinking water 95% of the time. Coffee or tea the other 5%. Switching to decaf was not hard, but sometimes I just need that little boost. I’m using a smaller plate for meals, and I’m watching how quickly I eat and paying attention to how I eat- small, thorough bites. I’ve finally stopped drinking water with my meals, which was my biggest challenge. I don’t drink alcohol, well before I did some, but I’ve stopped. I get in at least one protein shake a day, especially if I know my meals will be lacking protein. I have 3 kids, twin 9 yo and an 11 yo. I know what you mean when you say you feel 90 and I am right there with you! I’ve got 2 bad knees, a bad back, and bad hips. I’m just falling’ apart! LOL But I look at this surgery as a tool to help ease a lot of that pain. I wish you luck!!
Lol yes I am looking at it like that too. N when I try to jog my joints hurt. It sucks but we keep trying. That’s great. Keep up the great work and thanks for the post
Welcome to the group. You'll find a lot of support, inspiration and information from the great people here!
thank you!

Back