• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi! Excited and Scared!

Phinxy86

Hi everyone,
I am pre op. Researching everything I can about the sleeve surgery that I possibly can and hoping I can do this...well I know I can. I’m down to under 16 diet sodas left until I quit completely, I’m increasing my water intake daily, I rarely have sweets, and am attempting to cut down on my portion sizes. One thing I’m having serious trouble with is getting even a little exercise in though. I have a dog, but she isn’t that high maintenance. But I know she’d like a walk. On top of this I’m getting I’m in the process of getting all my teeth pulled so I’m in pain so I get discouraged easily. It’s easy not to eat. Any suggestions for a pre op?

My goodness! You sound like a trooper! Alot going on,,, I'm with you on the walking but I get half hour to 45 minutes three times a week.
Hi Phyn
My goodness! You sound like a trooper! Alot going on,,, I'm with you on the walking but I get half hour to 45 minutes three times a week.

Hi Phinxy! I’m pre-op also! I run a daycare during the day but I schedule 1 hr 3 days a week and stick to those days to go to a local gym (Planet Fitness in my area). I take my phone and earphones and have a downloaded list of some of my favorite songs (some of which are embarrassing, esp when, unbeknownst to me, I tend to sing aloud!). I go straight to a treadmill, usually with no one on either side of me (truly don’t want an audience), set my incline and my speed, and walk until all my music selections stop. If I feel pretty good, I’ll do some other exercises or routines for another 30 min, sometimes not. It helps me de-stress from my day and get my head right. If the next day, my leg muscles don’t hurt a bit, I raise the incline or raise the speed or do intervals of each. If you can’t join a gym, but music entertains you or helps you wind down, do the pavement walk with your tunes! Carve a path on a map on your phone or tablet, and stick to the path. Add a few more blocks each day- or make a game - count all houses with black doors, when you get to 15, turn and go back home. Hope you find your happy feet- the dog will love it too!

Hi Phyn

Hi Phinxy! I’m pre-op also! I run a daycare during the day but I schedule 1 hr 3 days a week and stick to those days to go to a local gym (Planet Fitness in my area). I take my phone and earphones and have a downloaded list of some of my favorite songs (some of which are embarrassing, esp when, unbeknownst to me, I tend to sing aloud!). I go straight to a treadmill, usually with no one on either side of me (truly don’t want an audience), set my incline and my speed, and walk until all my music selections stop. If I feel pretty good, I’ll do some other exercises or routines for another 30 min, sometimes not. It helps me de-stress from my day and get my head right. If the next day, my leg muscles don’t hurt a bit, I raise the incline or raise the speed or do intervals of each. If you can’t join a gym, but music entertains you or helps you wind down, do the pavement walk with your tunes! Carve a path on a map on your phone or tablet, and stick to the path. Add a few more blocks each day- or make a game - count all houses with black doors, when you get to 15, turn and go back home. Hope you find your happy feet- the dog will love it too!

Thank you! I also attend therapy and she said that I have a bit of agoraphobia. So distracting myself with door colors or house colors while listening to music is definitely a good idea! I also forgot my parents have a treadmill that is gathering dust for the days I can’t get outside. Do you think yoga would count as the exercise they would like us to do? Our winters can be brutal, so I may get stuck inside sometimes!

Thank you! I also attend therapy and she said that I have a bit of agoraphobia. So distracting myself with door colors or house colors while listening to music is definitely a good idea! I also forgot my parents have a treadmill that is gathering dust for the days I can’t get outside. Do you think yoga would count as the exercise they would like us to do? Our winters can be brutal, so I may get stuck inside sometimes!
Hi Phinxy! Great to hear back from you! I’ve never tried yoga, but it’s on my list of things to try!! But I think anything that centers on you, relaxation and stretching and using muscle cores, has to be a good thing. I know that in one of my group meetings I attended, quite a few ladies are in yoga classes and love it. And the treadmill, once dusted off, is a wonderful indoor way to work up some energy (and the luxury to walk while watching tv, plus sweating without an audience!)

And any chance you have a pool nearby? That is the best excersize with low impact! My self is join Y this weekend. Sounds like you are on your way!

Back