• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi, I’m new here

MrsA

I’ll be having bipass surgery in the next 4-6 weeks. I’m looking forward to the start of a new life, but afraid of adjusting, complications and failure. Any advice for me on what I should do during the next few week? I’m also looking for advice regarding how and when to communicate about this to others.

Hello and welcome! I had the bypass in June of 2020 at the age of 50. My goal weight was170. I got down to 153 for 1 week then stayed at 158-163 for about a year. Now I battle a regain. BUT I had set realistic goals. Statistically people who have the bypass can expect to lose between 60-80% of their excess weight. So if you are 100 lbs overweight, 60-80 lbs are expected. And you can also statistically expect a small regain. I lost extra so that if I gained back 10 I'd be at or under 170 .. My original goal. Which I am. (166 as of today!)
So make a realistic goal. Don't stop if you hit it. Many people never gain an ounce back. Some people gain most back. Its important to acknowledge who you are and plan accordingly It isn't a miracle, its a tool.

The next few weeks I would suggest focusing on building new habits. Give up caffeine now. You don't need the headaches of caffeine withdrawal in addition to post op pain and fatigue. Carbonation should go as well. Drink water. Focus on protein.

As for telling others, that is a personal decision. I told everyone. Some people tell no on sand only admit to drastically changing their diet. Either way, people are going to talk and sadly not everyone will be positive. If you tell, there are those that think its the easy way. (Hint*its NOT!!) If you don't tell, people will say you did anyway. This isn't about them its about you. So whatever YOU are comfortable saying is entirely fine. Its no ones business.

Good luck and plz keep us posted!

I’ll be having bipass surgery in the next 4-6 weeks. I’m looking forward to the start of a new life, but afraid of adjusting, complications and failure. Any advice for me on what I should do during the next few week? I’m also looking for advice regarding how and when to communicate about this to others.
It's a real roller-coaster ride! But overall, it's pure bliss. Any little complication or pain (I had NO complications but had and open procedure, major surgery, so yup, pain). But the gallbladder is so close to the stomach etc. that it really isn't a big deal to just snip it off at the same time. And if you have any possibility of stones, get rid of it now. It will never affect your health.

Oh, and whether to tell or not to tell is a question we get here frequently. It really depends on your family and friends. Is it profitable and/or safe to tell? Not in my family. I have a huge family born of 18 pair of aunts/uncles. They're all okay except my unfortunately dysfunctional family (10 people and lots of physical punishment and shame). So I only told my best friend and my son. I have complete trust in them and for more support, I have this group, and also had a physical group in town for a while. And this will sound bratty but you really had to be there to see how they constantly picked at everything about me, so no way was I giving them more ammunition. 17 years later they still don't know.

Back