• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi, my first visit here.. My surgery is 10/24 in Holmdel NJ... Dr Greco

swsnj

Good Morning,

Ok this is my first visit here, I have surgery scheduled with Dr Greco at Bayshore Hospital on 10/24.. Would like some thoughts..

#1. Bariatric Supplements:
What kinds of Bariatric products do you all recommend and where is the best place to purchase them from? Has anyone had their insurance company
pay the cost for those medically necessary supplements? and if so how did that work

#2. What should I make sure I do the month before my surgery, It is time I get serious about this, and would like your suggestions

#3. Currently the company I worked for closed a few weeks ago, and I have been on unemployment and will be on disability after the surgery while I recover,
how long really will that recovery take, and when do you think one will be able to interview for a new role. Is 4 weeks (from date of surgery) reasonable?

Some info about me,

#`1. I weigh 275 today, have been as heavy as 285 (when I decided to do the surgery) and would like to get to 200 lbs after the surgery. In the past few years
with dieting etc I got down to 250, and then would put it back on.

Dr Greco in Holmdel NJ, I have my pre surgery consult in a week what questions should I ask him then.

Has anyone had experience with Dr Greco? in Holmdel?

Thank you.. what other questions should I be asking?

Stephen

Good Morning,

Ok this is my first visit here, I have surgery scheduled with Dr Greco at Bayshore Hospital on 10/24.. Would like some thoughts..

What kinds of Bariatric products do you all recommend and where is the best place to purchase them from? Has anyone had their insurance company
pay the cost for those medically necessary supplements? and if so how did that work

#2. What should I make sure I do the month before my surgery, It is time I get serious about this, and would like your suggestions

#3. Currently the company I worked for closed a few weeks ago, and I have been on unemployment and will be on disability after the surgery while I recover,
how long really will that recovery take, and when do you think one will be able to interview for a new role. Is 4 weeks (from date of surgery) reasonable?

Some info about me,

#`1. I weigh 275 today, have been as heavy as 285 (when I decided to do the surgery) and would like to get to 200 lbs after the surgery. In the past few years
with dieting etc I got down to 250, and then would put it back on.

Dr Greco in Holmdel NJ, I have my pre surgery consult in a week what questions should I ask him then.

Has anyone had experience with Dr Greco? in Holmdel?

Thank you.. what other questions should I be asking?

Stephen
Hi Stephen and welcome to the group. Which surgery will you be having?

I had the gastric bypass in July of 2021. I started at 234, and have lost 70lbs so far. Next goal is 150, hopefully by Christmas, final goal is 135 by spring. We'll see.

I did/do not use ANY bariatric products. I was instructed to use Flinstones chewables the 1st month post-surgery (I used Walmart brand - same ingedients for a lot less). When I switched to adult vitamins according to my post-surgery instructions, I used Kroger's centrum equivalent. I also take Kroger's Calcium citrate, Vit B12, Vit C, Vit D3. I have prescripts for Iron (every other day) and for weekly Vit D2. All of my bloodwork checking my vitamin levels have been perfect, except B12 was a little high, so I take it sublingually every other day.

You'll find lots of helpful suggestions in the archives on preparing for surgery. My non-medical advice/suggestions would include weaning yourself from any and all sodas, juices, sugary drinks, and caffeine. Replace them with 64-80ozs of water daily, and practice sipping rather than gulping necessary after surgery.

Try cutting back on any & all carbs that you can, including bread, white rice, noodles, most potatoes, corn, sugary sweets, even fruit as much as possible. Carbs turn to sugar in your bloodstream which provides quick energy, but if not burned off, is stored as fat. Try eating as much lean protein and non-starchy veggies as possible. If you can, maybe try drinking a protein shake daily to help stay fuller and build up some muscle. This is not to be used as medical advice, just some helpful suggestions.

I don't have a clue about the work/interviewing timeline, sorry.

Best of luck. Again, please search the archives and you will find tons of pre- and post-surgery tips.

Hi Stephen and welcome to the group. Which surgery will you be having?

I had the gastric bypass in July of 2021. I started at 234, and have lost 70lbs so far. Next goal is 150, hopefully by Christmas, final goal is 135 by spring. We'll see.

I did/do not use ANY bariatric products. I was instructed to use Flinstones chewables the 1st month post-surgery (I used Walmart brand - same ingedients for a lot less). When I switched to adult vitamins according to my post-surgery instructions, I used Kroger's centrum equivalent. I also take Kroger's Calcium citrate, Vit B12, Vit C, Vit D3. I have prescripts for Iron (every other day) and for weekly Vit D2. All of my bloodwork checking my vitamin levels have been perfect, except B12 was a little high, so I take it sublingually every other day.

You'll find lots of helpful suggestions in the archives on preparing for surgery. My non-medical advice/suggestions would include weaning yourself from any and all sodas, juices, sugary drinks, and caffeine. Replace them with 64-80ozs of water daily, and practice sipping rather than gulping necessary after surgery.

Try cutting back on any & all carbs that you can, including bread, white rice, noodles, most potatoes, corn, sugary sweets, even fruit as much as possible. Carbs turn to sugar in your bloodstream which provides quick energy, but if not burned off, is stored as fat. Try eating as much lean protein and non-starchy veggies as possible. If you can, maybe try drinking a protein shake daily to help stay fuller and build up some muscle. This is not to be used as medical advice, just some helpful suggestions.

I don't have a clue about the work/interviewing timeline, sorry.

Best of luck. Again, please search the archives and you will find tons of pre- and post-surgery tips.

Having the sleeve surgery...

thanks for the nice note

Karen's advice was excellent. But I'm gonna jump in anyway and first, welcome you to your group.

First, what's your first name? It's easier to talk when you don't have to remember a handle instead of a name.
==================================================
swsnj wrote

I don't pay for "bariatric" supplements. I follow the USDA and FDA guidelines for daily nutrition, but don't have them tattooed on my brain. I just eat sensibly, and have for 14 years, since I had open gastric bypass surgery. My supplement list is similar to Missy's and I buy off the shelf at drug stores with a few exceptions. I get my daily chewable (my doc says I have to take two, not one a day), at Trader Joe's, as well as my calcium (if available), my Bcomplex, Vit D and C. Most major drug stores will have billions of choices, so do yourself a favor. Set aside an hour or so to stroll through and read the RDAs on each one. Don't worry if they don't say they fill 100%. You get a lot from food. These are only supplements.

#2. What should I make sure I do the month before my surgery

Well, I'm not sure about "shoulds" but I'd definitely stock up so I don't have to go to the grocery store. And I'd learn to make Magic Milk, a recipe you can search for here, which was given to me by my nutritionist. But like Karen said, get moving. Get a hotpad or hot water bottle. Get an icebag or frozen packs of gel you can freeze. Ask your doc about pain relief. I think Tylenol is off the menu, but I may be wrong about that. Don't be embarrassed to ask for fortified stuff that has codeine or whatever in it. You probably won't need it, but I had a huge 7" incision from my navel to my sternum, so I definitely had a lot of pain after. Now it's laparoscopic, so much less painful.

#3. I will be on disability after the surgery while I recover,

That's a tough one. Some people who get laparoscopy go back to work the same day, or the next. Surely it will be less than a week, but that might depend on your own pain threshold.
=====================================
Some info about me,

#`1. I weigh 275 today, have been as heavy as 285 (when I decided to do the surgery) and would like to get to 200 lbs after the surgery.
You can do it. I lost so much weight, I had to gain 15 pounds back. I was too skinny. And I've maintained that healthy weight for 14 years, though I did gain a bit, then lost it, during the pandemic panic. Just remember how happy you are with your healthy weight and buy some new duds and smile A LOT.

Oh, I just see you signed off with your name, Stephen. Sorry about that. I always think people introduce themselves in the first line of their first post.

Read people's posts here, using the search box, for topics that you want to know more about.

You've made a brave and doable decision. Congratulate yourself every day, and keep smiling.

Karen's advice was excellent. But I'm gonna jump in anyway and first, welcome you to your group.

First, what's your first name? It's easier to talk when you don't have to remember a handle instead of a name.
swsnj wrote

I don't pay for "bariatric" supplements. I follow the USDA and FDA guidelines for daily nutrition, but don't have them tattooed on my brain. I just eat sensibly, and have for 14 years, since I had open gastric bypass surgery. My supplement list is similar to Missy's and I buy off the shelf at drug stores with a few exceptions. I get my daily chewable (my doc says I have to take two, not one a day), at Trader Joe's, as well as my calcium (if available), my Bcomplex, Vit D and C. Most major drug stores will have billions of choices, so do yourself a favor. Set aside an hour or so to stroll through and read the RDAs on each one. Don't worry if they don't say they fill 100%. You get a lot from food. These are only supplements.

Well, I'm not sure about "shoulds" but I'd definitely stock up so I don't have to go to the grocery store. And I'd learn to make Magic Milk, a recipe you can search for here, which was given to me by my nutritionist. But like Karen said, get moving. Get a hotpad or hot water bottle. Get an icebag or frozen packs of gel you can freeze. Ask your doc about pain relief. I think Tylenol is off the menu, but I may be wrong about that. Don't be embarrassed to ask for fortified stuff that has codeine or whatever in it. You probably won't need it, but I had a huge 7" incision from my navel to my sternum, so I definitely had a lot of pain after. Now it's laparoscopic, so much less painful.

That's a tough one. Some people who get laparoscopy go back to work the same day, or the next. Surely it will be less than a week, but that might depend on your own pain threshold.
Some info about me,

#`1. I weigh 275 today, have been as heavy as 285 (when I decided to do the surgery) and would like to get to 200 lbs after the surgery.
You can do it. I lost so much weight, I had to gain 15 pounds back. I was too skinny. And I've maintained that healthy weight for 14 years, though I did gain a bit, then lost it, during the pandemic panic. Just remember how happy you are with your healthy weight and buy some new duds and smile A LOT.

Oh, I just see you signed off with your name, Stephen. Sorry about that. I always think people introduce themselves in the first line of their first post.

Read people's posts here, using the search box, for topics that you want to know more about.

You've made a brave and doable decision. Congratulate yourself every day, and keep smiling.
Stephen

Hi, Steven. Welcome to the group.

My weight loss center suggested Bariatric Fusion chewables 4 times a day, so that's what I use. I would recommend that you ask your surgeon what he wants you to take. I personally do not want to do the research to figure out exactly how much of everything I need and how much I can absorb at any given time so this works for me.

Karen is right. You should give up caffeine ASAP. Caffeine withdraw can cause some ugly symptoms that you do not want to deal with on top of healing.

When you can start interviewing again will depend on what kind of work you're looking for. I was very active in my job and when I had in took 6 weeks off. My husband sits and he was off 2 weeks.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

My weight loss center suggested Bariatric Fusion chewables 4 times a day, so that's what I use. I would recommend that you ask your surgeon what he wants you to take. I personally do not want to do the research to figure out exactly how much of everything I need and how much I can absorb at any given time so this works for me.

Karen is right. You should give up caffeine ASAP. Caffeine withdraw can cause some ugly symptoms that you do not want to deal with on top of healing.

When you can start interviewing again will depend on what kind of work you're looking for. I was very active in my job and when I had in took 6 weeks off. My husband sits and he was off to weeks.

Good luck to you.
Sorry I did not understand about your husband... are you saying that he was off "two" weeks? or what... let me know I appreciate your note.. truly... Stephen

swsnj wrote

Some info about me,

Thanks so much for the positive note... truly feel the love here.. what bariatric shake did you take post surgery, and where did you buy it from

When you can start interviewing again will depend on what kind of work you're looking for. I was very active in my job and when I had in took 6 weeks off. My husband sits and he was off to weeks.

Good luck to you.
Thanks so much... I am talking to the surgeon, I was asking more about the bariatric shakes etc

Thanks so much for the positive note... truly feel the love here.. what bariatric shake did you take post surgery, and where did you buy it from

Thanks so much... I am talking to the surgeon, I was asking more about the bariatric shakes etc
I bought Trader Joe's nutritional powder and mixed it with magic milk, flax seeds and wheat germ. It was like the Superman of nutritional drinks I think I got about 34 grams of protein in one drink. A safari through a health food store can give you many ideas.

I don't believe in buying processed foods, if I can avoid them. I get fresh produce from various places, and the shelf-stable and perishibles elsewhere. I've just learned by doing. I really would avoid bariatric-specific stuff unless its nutritional label has better numbers than a liquid drink you can make in your kitchen. But it's important to do what works for you.

Explore posts by key words like supplements or liquids to see what other people have said.

It's really essential to have a nutritionist or dietician to ask post-op questions of. The doctor specializes in the surgery, and the others are strictly for post-op.

Stephen, some people try various protein shakes i.e. Pure Protein, Premier Protein, Fairlife Protein Shakes, before surgery to discover flavors they like. Most have 30gms of protein and little or no sugar. Unfortunately some find that after WLS they can't stand the same flavors they enjoyed pre-surgery.

Luckily I wasn't one of these. My fave flavors include Premier Protein Caramel (like a caramel milkshake), Chocolate Peanut butter (like a liquid Reese cup), Root Beer Float that they sell online from their website, and Pumpkin Spice. Fairlife Chocolate Protein shake tastes kinda like chocolate milk.

Back