• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi! Procedure Date: Feb 7, 2020

Hi! I'm glad I found this forum as I feel the need for supplemental support. I'm nervous for my procedure date. It's coming very quickly. I am so scared that I will overeat once the sleeve is complete. I don't want to undo anything and I really don't want pain and nausea. I just read that the first two days are the worst and some have regrets... any tips? Thanks! Cheers!

Hi again, Heather. I commented on your other post, but let me say welcome to the group. We're happy to have you.

So you're having the sleeve and you think you can undo the process you get with it. Sure you can, but you really have to work on it.

It's better for your entire sake to focus on how you're going to deal with the eating disorder that led you to obesity. You'll only have a tiny pouch, but you'll still have a big, loud voice in your head, trying to convince you that a life of overeating and junk food and low self-esteem is what you were born to have.

Apologies if you already know this, but you should have two blank journals. In one of them, write down all your thoughts related to your mental and physical health. In the other, keep a food diary listing amounts, times of day, dates, grams of protein and calories in every single crumb you eat.

You can also maximize the benefit of the journal by employing a technique advocated by Sondra Ray in "The Only Diet There Is." Divide a page with a line down the middle. On one side, list the failure messages you're getting in your mind or in your surroundings. On the other side, write the truth about what that lie is trying to do to you. So, on one side of mine, I wrote, "You're fat and ugly." On the other side I wrote, "You are beautiful, inside and out."

The voice will speak again, probably saying the same thing. So you will counter with the truth in the opposite column. You may write the negative down a thousand times, and a positive response to it each time. Somewhere along the line, you accepted that you are somehow defective, like fat and ugly. You may have been told this by people. You may have compared yourself to people you see everywhere. This failure message is so strong, it guided your life down a path to self-loathing and destructive eating.

It's so strong, you'll think you can't beat it. Your entire consciousness has come to believe it. Your body reflects it back as truth and then reinforces it until it's bigger than you. And your trained brain immediately tries to reject any good thought you use to fight a bad one.

But the beauty part is that there is a part of your mind that desperately wants to believe in you. For those of us who have suffered for so long from negative and abusive treatment, it's hard to grow that part of your mind that loves you and sees what a cool chick you really are. Right. It's hard. But not impossible. Behavior modification isn't just about going on a food diet. It's putting your mind on a diet from negativity, as Ray writes in her book.

You may not believe it now, but don't let the voice keep you from trying to change your thinking. Keep fighting and repeating. It is through repetition that we learn everything, from penmanship to mountain climbing. Choose a negative thought and vaporize it. Never, ever give up. Once the negative thought realizes the positive thought has power, it will retreat and eventually fade away.

This is the power of affirmations, and there are a lot more than I just pointed out.

As to your fears that raise questions, remember that any surgery comes with pain attached. But for some of us, it's a breeze, while others seem to feel the ache for a long time. A lot of how you get better is determined by how committed you are. You'll have some pain, your appetite might get wonky, you might experience vomiting, diarrhea and a sense of revulsion toward all food--for a while. In my opinion, there's rarely enough trouble post-operatively to crab about. Then, suddenly, your pants will start falling down because you've lost too much weight to make them stick to you. And it will continue.

Follow your doctor's orders to the letter. Make sure you have a nutritionist to assign you a SPECIFIC diet for after. Get a therapist and support group tailored to those thoughts and use everyone listed, along with your two journals, and ignore anyone who tries to tempt you off your path. The surgery won't fix you. It will just empower you to fix yourself.

Hi! I'm glad I found this forum as I feel the need for supplemental support. I'm nervous for my procedure date. It's coming very quickly. I am so scared that I will overeat once the sleeve is complete. I don't want to undo anything and I really don't want pain and nausea. I just read that the first two days are the worst and some have regrets... any tips? Thanks! Cheers!
If it helps, I had a fairly easy recovery and never once a regret!

That is VERY encouraging! What were you extra careful with? Any tricks for drinking water? What did you use for the full liquids phase?
Good, I'm glad. May members on this site have had smooth, "best-case-scenario" recoveries.

I've always been a big water drinker, I drink a gallon a day so the water came easily for me, I was so thirsty. The first week or so I had to take slow, small sips but I was drinking fairly normally after that. I would suggest to starting training on that now if you can. Drink sips all day long the next couple weeks. If you don't have one, pick up a large insulated cup and keep refilling it as you empty it.

The clear liquid phase was blah but that was just 3 days for me. At least you can have sugar free jello and popsicles.

When I moved on to full liquids, I did protein shakes, GoGurts (you can't have chunks & these kids' versions don't have them), sugar free pudding & tomato soup made with skim milk.

How long were you off work? I think being home alone for weeks scares me more than anything! lol. I can't watch that much TV!
I was able to take a month off and it was wonderful! I was able to nap mid-day which I'd never done before. Healing takes so much energy and believe me, you'll feel a crash mid-day. Many people go back after a week or two if their job is sedentary but seriously, take all the time your doctor suggests! It's also a great time to set new habits and routines since you don't have to deal with work too.

Good, I'm glad. May members on this site have had smooth, "best-case-scenario" recoveries.

I've always been a big water drinker, I drink a gallon a day so the water came easily for me, I was so thirsty. The first week or so I had to take slow, small sips but I was drinking fairly normally after that. I would suggest to starting training on that now if you can. Drink sips all day long the next couple weeks. If you don't have one, pick up a large insulated cup and keep refilling it as you empty it.

The clear liquid phase was blah but that was just 3 days for me. At least you can have sugar free jello and popsicles.

When I moved on to full liquids, I did protein shakes, GoGurts (you can't have chunks & these kids' versions don't have them), sugar free pudding & tomato soup made with skim milk.

M

The full liquids part worries me because I'm lactose intolerant and have allergies to sugar substitutes. Aside from Lactaid, I'm not too sure what else I can have during that time. Ideas?

I, too, am a huge water drinker. I go through a gallon a day, easily. I drink 22oz most nights as well. That's actually my fear. Am I going to be outrageously thirsty and potentially drink too much water? How can I be assured I'll be able to consume plenty of water?
You shouldn't have any issues with drinking as much water as you want, just take it slowly in the beginning. I was drinking as much as I normally do, just in small sips, constantly all day. And I was able to drink normally within a week. Listen to your body but you should be fine. :)

M

The full liquids part worries me because I'm lactose intolerant and have allergies to sugar substitutes. Aside from Lactaid, I'm not too sure what else I can have during that time. Ideas?
Hmm, I'm not sure... does your surgeon have you working with a nutritionist or dietitian? If yes, reach out! That's what they're there for. I'm sure you can strain any type of soup. As long as it's just liquid, that should work. Do you know how long you'll be on that phase? I think it was only a few days for me.

M

Here's another great resource from our forum: Bariatric Surgery Post-Op Eating

But you'll get your own diet, designed by your bariatric nutritionist, and you should follow it to the letter. Make sure you tell everyone what you can and can't eat.

I didn't have any food allergies and I remember drinking a lot of beef broth, the expensive stuff, and stuff made with Magic Milk, which won't work for you. Bouillon is too salty, but you can buy real broth, or make it yourself. Most stores have it in large containers, not little soup cans. Get a recipe off the internet for how to make broth using oxtails or veggies or chicken. You can also consume juices, and almost any vegetable can be juiced, and/or cooked & strained. You probably wouldn't want to drink real whey, but it's nutritious as heck. It's a challenge to find stuff that's not overly processed or based on carnivore's diets, but it can be done. Just remember you don't have to do it for very long, and do a LOT of research on possibilities.

There is such a thing as water intoxication. I first heard about it when mandatory drug screening was coming on and people thought if they drank enough water, they could flush their systems. Turns out they were wrong. Any more than a gallon a day is probably not that good for you, and I've recently read articles debunking the 8/8 government recommended water consumption.

But I, too, love water and only drink filtered or spring water which I keep in the fridge and ration out into plastic bottles. That way it's measured, as well. I generally drink three 23.7 fl. oz. bottles every day, and that's plenty of water for me. I keep it next to my bed, also, and take a good drink if I wake up during the night, which I do, a lot.

Though some might say it doesn't count, the water you consume in coffee or tea is legit. Add it to your total.

Here's another great resource from our forum: Bariatric Surgery Post-Op Eating

But you'll get your own diet, designed by your bariatric nutritionist, and you should follow it to the letter. Make sure you tell everyone what you can and can't eat.

I didn't have any food allergies and I remember drinking a lot of beef broth, the expensive stuff, and stuff made with Magic Milk, which won't work for you. Bouillon is too salty, but you can buy real broth, or make it yourself. Most stores have it in large containers, not little soup cans. Get a recipe off the internet for how to make broth using oxtails or veggies or chicken. You can also consume juices, and almost any vegetable can be juiced, and/or cooked & strained. You probably wouldn't want to drink real whey, but it's nutritious as heck. It's a challenge to find stuff that's not overly processed or based on carnivore's diets, but it can be done. Just remember you don't have to do it for very long, and do a LOT of research on possibilities.

There is such a thing as water intoxication. I first heard about it when mandatory drug screening was coming on and people thought if they drank enough water, they could flush their systems. Turns out they were wrong. Any more than a gallon a day is probably not that good for you, and I've recently read articles debunking the 8/8 government recommended water consumption.

But I, too, love water and only drink filtered or spring water which I keep in the fridge and ration out into plastic bottles. That way it's measured, as well. I generally drink three 23.7 fl. oz. bottles every day, and that's plenty of water for me. I keep it next to my bed, also, and take a good drink if I wake up during the night, which I do, a lot.

Though some might say it doesn't count, the water you consume in coffee or tea is legit. Add it to your total.
I always thought water intoxication was a myth, I'm sure I surpass a gallon on a regular basis & always have. I better ask my Dr. about it at my next appt and try to cut back some. Thanks for the tip,

I doubt you have anything to worry about, Brenda or Heather. You'd have to drink about a quart every hour before it started backing up on you, messing with your kidneys and electrolytes. I don't think it ever occurs unless the person is deliberately drinking gallons of water, but here's a Wiki about it:

Thanks Diane, after reading your post earlier, I started doing research and discovered the same, phew. :)

Back