• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi! Procedure Date: Feb 7, 2020

Hmm, I'm not sure... does your surgeon have you working with a nutritionist or dietitian? If yes, reach out! That's what they're there for. I'm sure you can strain any type of soup. As long as it's just liquid, that should work. Do you know how long you'll be on that phase? I think it was only a few days for me.
The literature I received yesterday says one week. I have an appointment with the dietitian next week.... and a notebook of questions ;-)

Here's another great resource from our forum: Bariatric Surgery Post-Op Eating

But you'll get your own diet, designed by your bariatric nutritionist, and you should follow it to the letter. Make sure you tell everyone what you can and can't eat.

I didn't have any food allergies and I remember drinking a lot of beef broth, the expensive stuff, and stuff made with Magic Milk, which won't work for you. Bouillon is too salty, but you can buy real broth, or make it yourself. Most stores have it in large containers, not little soup cans. Get a recipe off the internet for how to make broth using oxtails or veggies or chicken. You can also consume juices, and almost any vegetable can be juiced, and/or cooked & strained. You probably wouldn't want to drink real whey, but it's nutritious as heck. It's a challenge to find stuff that's not overly processed or based on carnivore's diets, but it can be done. Just remember you don't have to do it for very long, and do a LOT of research on possibilities.

There is such a thing as water intoxication. I first heard about it when mandatory drug screening was coming on and people thought if they drank enough water, they could flush their systems. Turns out they were wrong. Any more than a gallon a day is probably not that good for you, and I've recently read articles debunking the 8/8 government recommended water consumption.

But I, too, love water and only drink filtered or spring water which I keep in the fridge and ration out into plastic bottles. That way it's measured, as well. I generally drink three 23.7 fl. oz. bottles every day, and that's plenty of water for me. I keep it next to my bed, also, and take a good drink if I wake up during the night, which I do, a lot.

Though some might say it doesn't count, the water you consume in coffee or tea is legit. Add it to your total.
Great advice and I always appreciate hearing about someone else's experiences. I use ghee when I make my own stock (I just did this last night for shrimp ètouffeè)... so, that's another question for my bariatric nutritionist... how much ghee is ok? So much to learn! This feels like a semester of nutrition courses! Haha

Back