• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hi There

Hi I am hoping to have the sleeve but depending on what the Dr recommends I may have the bypass. I just turned 26 and have weighed around 300 lbs now for the last 4 years. But I have weighed over 200 lbs since I hit puberty at around 11. I also have pcos and it is one of my hopes with having the surgery it to be able to conceive a baby naturally. My husband and I have been trying for a family now since we got married 5 years ago and not even a maybe. The bypass surgery saved my Mom's life, and even though she still struggles with weight issues and keeping off now 10+ years later she always says she would do it again in an instant. I think that I kept putting off the option of surgery myself saying I could take it off without it. Now ww, LA weightless, fad diets, and diet pills later-I have lost down to about 240 and regained those same 60 lbs for the last 8 years of my life. I am completely realistic that this surgery is not a magical cure and that it will still take time, effort, and a lifetime of keeping up with maintenance but I believe I need the control it will give me to help manage my food addiction. Life has been on hold for me, I have horses and I love to ride but the fear of falling at my weight keeps me from getting up there (believe me I have fallen at my weight and both times I have ended up with bad injuries so I just choose not to ride right now). I want to also lose the weight so that my husband and I don't have to worry about any restrictions on weight that rides and attraction may have, and to just make traveling more comfortable. I always feel conscious of how much bigger I am then the people around me-and since I am 5'8" I am usually way bigger then most other females in the room (often times men too).

Congratulations for making such a big decision! There's a long process involved to get cleared thru insurance but it is worth the wait! If you haven't already heard, there are pro's and con's from everyone ... personally I believe that a lot of your success depends on your frame of mind and if you are truley ready to make the jump and to eat right, get healthy and stay healthy. No matter what type of surgery you get, it is still just a tool and you have to change your eating habits to make it work.

Just remember: the weight came on over a period of years so try not to expect it to come off in a very short time. You will learn a lot about patience!

Good luck to you!!

Thank-you. The clinic I am going through does everything in one day including insurance pre-approval? ( I just have to get my drs referral which he will give me, but its a holiday weekend so of course that will take a little time) but the clinic does the surgery consult, insurance/finance consult, nutrition consult, physical, information session, and one other session which I can't remember right now. They "say" after this day of six appointments most of their patients have the surgery within 6-8 weeks. So fingers crossed everything goes well with my insurance and I can get it done before the first of the year---this would save me on having to pay out more deductible since I have already reached my pay ins for the year. It will take as long as it takes though so I will definitely have to practice my non-existent patience.

Youre so lucky your insurance doesn't require a 6 month physician supervised diet like most insurances do. That set my surgery back half a year. Good Luck, to you!

I am not sure about insurance according to my plan it does want a three year record of your health history and documented efforts. I am hoping the the two times in the past four years I have tried his weight loss pills, my 6+months of la weight loss, and my multiple attempts at ww over my past will prove the history. Fingers crossed-I know when my mom had she didn't have to have a six month supervised diet either. Who knows though I have been talking with my insurance and they are always pretty vague but I will do what I have to do. I have been on a diet pill prescribed by my physician since like march so that is six months right there.

Welcome to the forum. I agree, it takes patience. if things don't go as fast as you would like, use the time to read and reflect and talk to others about surgery. There's always something to learn.

Wow mine required 6 months of weight management but I don't have the 3 years of documented efforts.

I am not sure about insurance according to my plan it does want a three year record of your health history and documented efforts. I am hoping the the two times in the past four years I have tried his weight loss pills, my 6+months of la weight loss, and my multiple attempts at ww over my past will prove the history. Fingers crossed-I know when my mom had she didn't have to have a six month supervised diet either. Who knows though I have been talking with my insurance and they are always pretty vague but I will do what I have to do. I have been on a diet pill prescribed by my physician since like march so that is six months right there.
I didn't have a recorded history of weight loss attempts. No Jenny Craig, no Weight Watchers, no cabbage diets. The few times I tried on my own, I lost 20 then gained 30. I said heck with that, so I stayed pretty much at 225 for about 30 years. IT DIDN'T AFFECT THE INSURANCE COVERAGE.

I talked with the surgeon today they recommended the bypass so that is what I am having. Also the finance advisor mentioned that my insurance will start requiring a 6-month supervised diet as of Jan 1st so I should be fine not having that now. All off my paperwork is in, my psych apt went well, and as soon as my insurance goes through I can schedule the surgery. Then all I need is my pre-op apt with my doctor and to do my two week pre-op diet. Still kind of nervous about insurance being difficult and dragging their feet but keeping a positive outlook. The surgeon, dietician, and Nurse were all amazing and wanted to make sure all my questions and concerns were answered.

Back