• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hit a plateau

Had bipass march 7th. Down 90 lbs. the past 2 weeks I hit a wall. I keep my calories 1000 or less but the scale hasn’t budged. Is this normal and how long does it usually last?

Fluctuations in weight loss are totally normal. And there's another dynamic you should watch out for. If you cut your calories dramatically, your body will compensate by going into starvation response, a medical condition known technically as "adaptive thermogenesis." Your body suddenly thinks it's going to starve to death so it compensates by backing off burning calories.

It happened to me, though not as drastically as it happened to you. I made a lot of changes, mostly in increasing my physical activity. In so doing, the calories burned in an effort to fuel my activity.

I got the best results by changing the types and amounts of foods I ate every day. Some days I'd eat more protein. Other days I'd have a cookie. Or I'd eat carbs found in fruit and vegetables with butter or olive oil on them. Your body knows what to do with the food you eat and knows how best to use it for nutrition and energy.

Great job so far! I'd just relax about it, making sure you don't take in too many calories, but really varying the sources from which you get calories.

Oh, I actually had a plateau that lasted several months. The way I ended it was that I started hiking in the mountains after working out at the YMCA. I kept track of all the calories I burned and ate, and most importantly, I drank up to a gallon of water every day. I was never without a container of water in my hand.

Had bipass march 7th. Down 90 lbs. the past 2 weeks I hit a wall. I keep my calories 1000 or less but the scale hasn’t budged. Is this normal and how long does it usually last?
I'm following this thread because I would love to hear from folks who are/have experienced it. I had my bypass May 31. I hit a plateau that lasted just under 3 weeks in my second month.

Had sleeve 21/2yrs ago , after 16 months was down 120lb but still had 40 to go .
Hit plateau no matter what it wouldn’t budge.
Tried shakes and small meal for a couple weeks again , lost a few, back to normal eating it came back . Tried cheating and overeating only gained a few , which came right off when back to normal eating .
Had heart issue and rehab had me in gym for 2 months daily . Still no weight change .
I guess our bodies have minds of their own
Just accept and keep doing what got you there

I had a long plateau after losing 75 pounds. I don't know if it was coincidental that it started burning off like crazy once I started hiking in the mountains, but that's what happened to me.

It's not a matter of increasing your activity, but in varying your type of activity. It's called "adaptive thermogenesis." Your body figures out what you're eating and adapts its metabolic response in order to keep you from starvation. More commonly, it's called "starvation response."

Changing and varying my activity level worked for me. I broke the stall and ultimately lost 115 pounds in 14 months.

1698465566633.png

Would you consider trying lifting weights? I hit a plateau for a while, and when I changed my exercise routine by incorporating a weight lifting regimen in place of some cardio exercise time, the scale began shifting a bit after a while of consistent strengths training.

Back