• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hobbies

lucky for me, I live in the south and I can get out and walk. For days stuck inside, I have been researching my family history for nearly 50 years (I started when I was 13, and It has given me many memories of time spent with my Mom.). When I can, I take our camper out and we spend a few days at a campground (social distancing is easy at a campground, outdoors and everyone talks a bit louder as they stand back!).

I like Christmas crafting and I have discovered painting. I enjoyed going to paint party events, such as wine & canvas, back when I was comfortable going to bars in a group. And I discovered there are many instructional videos on YouTube. So I make my husband and mother paint with me once a month. It's super fun! And my walls are covered in unique art. I also read.

My biggest hobby with has been squashed due to Covid, is traveling. I've had a goal of seeing all 50 states and only have 4 more to go (Washington, Oregon, Alaska and Maine). My sister was taking me on a British Isle trip which got canceled due to Covid. :( I've also been to the Mediterranean, Italy, Canada, Mexico, Latin America, through the Panama Canal any many Caribbean Islands. So with Covid putting a damper in my wanderlust, I now watch a lot of travel videos which helps me feel like I'm on a mini vacation. I also love to make photo journals of my bigger trips and have them printed on programs such as Shutterfly or Snapfish.

I do dabble in crafts when the mood strikes me. I've done jewelry making, crochet, latch hook, embroidery, silk floral arranging, Christmas ornaments and whatever else strikes my mood.

I do like read, do jigsaw puzzles, play card games (Canasta, Bridge, Gin, Solitaire). I am hoping I'll be up to more gardening now that I am feeling more energetic and mobile. :)

I paint ceramics (my husbands grandma owns a ceramics shop so we get whatever we want when the mood strikes us), I paint canvas using acrylics and spray paint, wreath crafting, reading, I used to bake a lot but not anymore, and when the weather is nice (over 45) I’m outside either hiking, biking, or gardening. Last summer I got into photography, but just with my phone, no fancy equipment.

My aunt had a ceramic studio too! So I did do a little of that, but that was a long time ago. I've made wreaths too and I loved baking way before I liked to cook. I don't do much of that anymore either, lol. But I am having fun coming up with healthier dinners and trying new recipes. The Instant Pot is my new friend and I've gotten into a little bit of meal prepping.

I like my instapot. I’ve been using my air fryer a lot lately for my kids school lunches. Just makes things go faster, and I don’t have to heat up my oven. I think I’ve always done some form of meal planning because it helps when I grocery shop and with budgeting. Now I plan for family meals, but I also make modifications within those for what I am going to eat.

I have done arts and crafts since I was little. When I was little did ballet, tap and tumbling. Then I also learned Cross stitch, needlepoint, embroidery, sewing, cooking, baking, canning, paint by number. Decoupage, the list goes on. Bicycling, swimming camping, tents to campers, theme parks, crocheting (til my wrist started having problems. Stopped when it started hurting) (possible early carpel tunnel) motorcycle riding (on hold last two years since hip started sliding in the socket). Going to sturgis. Got married to husband in 2003 in sturgis 100 year anniversary. What can I say I evolve. Now I play silly games on tablet and listen to fantasy books my son recommend.

I took a couple of sewing classes a couple of years ago and loved it. Set up my own sewing room and was busy sewing bags, purses, wallets.... but in the last year I think I’ve sewn close to 100 masks!
I also love to make jigsaw puzzles. I’m a fan of 1000 piece puzzles... although sometimes it turns out to be 998 or 999 pieces depending on how many pieces my cats have stolen and hid on me! :)
Nothing like finishing a puzzle and having pieces missing! Lol

Back