• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

homelessness

Okay, this is a rant. Tune out if you're not interested.

Aside from the economic inequality in our country, why can't we deal with homelessness?

I've been homeless 3 times. Once, I had to stay in a shelter. The other two times, I lived in my beat-up old van. All three times, real estate transactions displaced me and there were no affordable rentals.

But in Seattle, homelessness is related to mental illness or drug dealing. Both of these problems have solutions. Not in my case, so I had to jump through more hoops to qualify for subsidized housing. I'm on SSI now, with less income than most. Part of that is that back in the day, the minimum wage was 85 cents an hour for women, and more for men. That used to be legal, lower wages for women doing the same job as a man.

That's a long story I'll skip, to make my point.

I just saw a news story where one man stabbed and killed another man in Pioneer Square. That's one of the most beautiful places in this gorgeous city. Murder aside, I was shocked to see the entire place covered with tents and garbage.

I'm one of those people who's infuriated by the city subsidizing big stadia while not using money to shelter as many homeless as possible, and arresting the brazen crackheads who occupy public space even though their wallets are fat with drug money.

It's a bit of a generalization, but mostly factual.

AND IT'S WRONG.

Most homelessness can be alleviated with targeted funds and programs. So why isn't it?

Its hard to see democracy as a cudgel used against citizens who pay rent or own homes. ALOWING homelessness, when it can be, financially, is anti-American.

The world is going to hell.

<deep breath> that is all.

20210619_183014.png
20210619_183307.png
20210619_183737.png
20210619_184840.png

While on my vacation, we stopped at an In & Out Burger in San Diego since I had never tried it. (eh) There was a man who walked up and looked into the garbage can. My immediate thought was Ew, gross, who wants to see that?! THEN he found a partial burger and took a bite. Imagine being SO HUNGRY that you willingly take a bite of food from a partially eaten burger that came out of the garbage. I won't even eat a burger that has been touched by a pickle and this man was grateful to find literally anything to eat.

I knew hunger existed but had never seen it play out so strikingly before. He did not stop and ask anyone for money. There were probably 25 of us sitting outside and a line through the drive-thru all the way to the street. Instead, he did what he had to in order to live another day.

Most of us tend to look away from the uglier side of life. Avoid making eye contact with the homeless, so they won't ask us for money. We decide they must have mental issue or drug problems; that they may be dangerous and we're being smart to avoid them. Even if we know that there are a multitude of reasons everyday people end up homeless and/or hungry, we decide we can't save everybody, right? The government is nothing more than a reflection of the people it represents. And we should all be ashamed because whatever we're doing it's not nearly enough.

This is a hard situation. We have a lot of homeless in our area by my work. We have had some stealing food. We had to move the kitchen from the front of the building to the middle. I give out water often but not food. We have giving some food in the past most will say they do not take food. even when the food is still sealed new. When I need to ask people to move on and not stand right outside the door or windows they will move on when I come out with water bottles for them. Most are nice about this. Even a guy who was getting all ready to shoot up some drugs in his arm. I went out to ask him to move because I have kids right inside the windows and I would not like them to be watching you. Also have had rocks thrown at me and lots of bad names called at me. But they do still move on.

This is such a difficult topic. We too had a period of semi-homelessness last fall but are now safe & secure. In my area we have continuing drug abuse from opioids to heroin to fentanyl, often combine but sometimes separate from homelessness & food insecurity. Now more people are getting evicted bc of high unemployment, but our governor is eliminating the federal money added weekly to the inadequate unemployment checks. It's a never ending cycle of despair, poverty, hunger, & homelessness. No simple answers or solutions, and it seem like the gov't just can't find a way to help those needing a hand. One cannot pull himself or herself up by their own bootstraps if they don't even have a pair of boots. Sorry, this keeps me up at nights sometimes.

I think there are several problems that need to be addressed but cannot because of current laws and society expectations.

Years ago we would take those with drug addictions and those with serious mental problems and put them in Sanitariums. Due to cries of inhumane treatment namely electroshock therapy and lobotomies (rightfully so) that were deemed cruel and those sanitariums were shut down and those people that did not have families were thought to be better on their own. After Tuberculosis outbreaks of the 1960's where many of these Sanitariums were used to treat TB patients long term. These sanitariums were quickly repurposed or torn down. Later, laws we're passed that would prevent someone from being admitted against their will unless certain conditions existed. So what we have seen is our mental health system, per capita, been torn down and cannot facilitate those in need because of legal reasons and lack of space and financial means.

There are always those who face homelessness, loss of job, breakup with girlfriend, spouse, death of spouse, unforeseen events. I faced it after a breakup from a 5yr relationship. However, there is a major dependency that has developed over the last 50 years in communities that people actually choose homelessness or choose to be on the welfare system. Money used on those people would be better spent helping those who cannot help themselves and those that need a short term boost. I like listening to Kevin Samuels and I heard him say this (Link) the other week. Right or wrong, I think it touches on the tip of the iceberg in the homelessness and the the breakdown of family unit which factually has shown when we see marriage rates currently at an all time low, divorce over 50%. The family unit has always traditionally provide the economic stability during hard times.

Back