• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How did you determine your goal weight?

Qaterra

Mine is kinda arbitrary.

The last time I weighed something decent was so long ago, I barely remember it. I do remember worrying that I weighed too much and I was constantly dieting. I weighed 140 lb. At the time, the doctor was telling me I should weigh 100 lb. Not! I couldn't see it then, and can't see it now. I have one photo from then. Although I don't look fat, to my eyes, I do see extra, unneeded poundage.

I'm 5' 1-1/2" tall and, according to my wrist measurement, have a large frame. The charts top out at 145 lb for my height and frame. That seems a bit high to me. So, I'm looking at 125 lb. I suppose I won't really know until I get closer to it. Presently, it's a long, long ways away.

For a "normal" BMI, I'd have to weigh 189lbs at the most. I picked mine based on my last weight I felt good at even if I carried a some extra weight. They say the max amount you can lose from this surgery is around 90lbs. If I can lose the max, I'd be very satisfied.

I really didn't have a major goal at first. I just wanted to get out of the 200 club. I then decided that I weighed around 140 for a good part of my adult life. It's smack in the middle for healthy BMI for my height. So I'm going for it!

My doctor determined my goal weight so to speak. I'd like it to be about 10 pounds under what he suggested because I am less than five feet tall. I figure I can change it later if I need to or can't maintain it. We shall see. Still a long way to go.

My team picked the highest weight I could be for my height for my goal. My goal is about 15-20lbs lighter. I am 5'4 and want to be down to 125-130. but I have had five kiddos and wonder if I can get that small again.

Reasa

The charts say I should weigh 121 pounds, but I don't think they take body type into account. I'm short, but not petite. I don't ever remember wearing anything less than a size 14 and I was always at least 2 sizes larger in clothes than my older sister, so I could never get any of her hand-me-downs. When I was in high school I went to one of those fancy dances, and the dress I was making didn't work out, so I had to wear something of my sisters. I stuffed myself into it, but the first time I laughed, the dress bodice split down the front! Talk about embarrassing!

Well my driver's license said 125 for very many years so I just never changed it. Since I am a careful driver and haven't had reason to be checked, I've skated along for about 30 years.The girls in DMV just look and shake their heads. Glad they don't have a scale to keep us honest. So I'm picking 125.

If your tall well it also depends on your age. But I hear ya. My doctor gave me a number I feel is to heavy. LOL I am not at it yet so... I think really what you feel healthy at and look good to you at. Mine said I needed to lose like 80 something pounds, I have lost 50 and believe you me I will not be happy with another 30 something plus. But I have to wait to see, cause I can't remember that weight to well either. One thing about it we can control what we lose or gain. So, I think we all go through this. Good luck
Angie

LOL mine did too lol isn't that funny? Right now its says my weight before surgery and I look like a convict in it. Seriosly ashamed to show my ID. Can't wait to get a new one. :D

hi Karen-golfs hi how's everything going for you with food and diet etc. dad say's the snow in ark. is finally melting . when there was a good weather day he had his roof replaced and now that snow is melting he is dealing with a leak around his bathroom window comming from the roof leaking. he's not too pleased. man has been in local business there 30 years and he assures dad he will take care of damage.
I know or I beleive it was you whom said they're an accountant so you would be busy for awhile and had deceided to stick to healthy eating and not do surgery? are you also the one that your husband was considering surgery too or have I mixed you up with someome else.
Just stopping in to say hi and hope all is going well for you
Donna

Its what you are healthy and happy with. My doctor and I am no way gonna agree on my weight loss. I have untill Feb 11th and hopefully I lose more. But he said 85 pounds I say 100 so I guess I too will wait and see. I have no idea what that will look like I am 5' 6" and i want to weigh 135 pounds. So fEB I suppose we will figure it out.

Back