• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How do I get calories

You are retaining water from when they pumped you full of it in the hospital. Right now the fact that you are getting two shakes in a day is amazing all by itself. The first week you will be lucky if you get 300 calories in. Relax and focus on hydration and let your body do it’s thing. You won’t go into starvation mode. It’s only been 5 days.

Thanks that makes sense I am a worry wart and I get some support at home but not an informed kind of support! I get the response "you wanted this you got this now we work through it" so it's hard for people who aren't in my situation or don't completely agree with my decision of the surgery.

Mandy is spot on. I remember my surgeon telling me when I lerft the hospital that I was not on a diet but rather recuperatng from surgery. He said do not worry about the calories but focus on protein, fluids, and healing the first couple of weeks. As I come up on 5 weeks post-op, I'm glad I heeded his advice.

My doc also said my weight might be up from pre-op for a few days because they pump us full of fluids in the hospital to try to ensure we don’t get dehydrated. Today is day 4 post op for me, and i’m finally back to my pre-op weight.
I have between 150 and 200 lbs to lose, so i’m hoping the weekly losses will be sizable for the first few months… i lost 15 during the 10 day preoperative phase, but i was peeing like crazy, so i know i was mostly flushing out retained water!

Back