• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How long were you out of work?

I'm not wanting to get ahead of myself as my surgery is not scheduled just yet but I am just curious. About how long were you off work after surgery? I actually have a desk job fortunately so I am hoping to be back a week post op. One of the ladies in the office keeps telling me 4-6 weeks. I appreciate her concern but we will see. Little does she know I am tougher than woodpecker lips. LOL

I had mine on 9/21/2020 and will not return until 10/19/2020 due to post op complications. You really need to be sure you are up and walking and eating/drinking your water and protein. My daughter had hers a week a 1 day ago and she had no complications and will be returning to work tomorrow. So truly everyone is different.

It also depends on what kind of work you do. Since I've been working from home since March, I just took a week off. I probably would have taken two weeks off if I was still commuting to my office. You are usually restricted from lifting more than 15lbs, give or take, depending on the surgeon, for 4 weeks, so if you work in a job that requires heavy lifting, you'd need to be assigned to something else or take more time off, I suppose.

I think most people, without major complications, are usually back at work in 1-3 weeks.

I'm not wanting to get ahead of myself as my surgery is not scheduled just yet but I am just curious. About how long were you off work after surgery? I actually have a desk job fortunately so I am hoping to be back a week post op. One of the ladies in the office keeps telling me 4-6 weeks. I appreciate her concern but we will see. Little does she know I am tougher than woodpecker lips. LOL
Not sure what procedure you are having but I had the bypass and work from home sitting at my desk all day. I was out of work for two days, one of the operation and then released the following morning. I had initially planned on a week but I had no complications and no pain after the procedure so ended up saving the time off. Best of luck as you move forward!

1.5 weeks. I work a desk job and was told 2 but didn't listen. I wish I would have taken the full 2. I was exhausted and feeling like death for the first week. Couldn't swallow very well at all for almost a full 2 weeks. While I finally felt some life in me at 6 days post I was still very exhausted and I work a very emotionally and mentally draining job and could have used the extra rest. I also returned to work like a road runner on my first day back so that didnt help.

I had the Sleeve and I took 1 and 1/2 weeks. I wish I took 2 or 3 I was exhausted after my first day back to work I have a desk job but I still had to commute at least 20 minutes to get to the office I was exhausted. I had no complications however your body has gone through major surgery which is a trauma take the time to heal at least two weeks.

I had the Sleeve and I took 1 and 1/2 weeks. I wish I took 2 or 3 I was exhausted after my first day back to work I have a desk job but I still had to commute at least 20 minutes to get to the office I was exhausted. I had no complications however your body has gone through major surgery which is a trauma take the time to heal at least two weeks.
I had a feeling as well that taking the minimum (my doc said 2-4) would be okay but I wanted to give myself time. This is only my second surgery ever and this one was more invasive than the other. I originally took 2 but I just extended it to a full 3 to give myself that extra time. My job is a desk job but it is very emotionally draining so I was already getting anxiety about returning so I'm happy I'm taking the extra week.

Back