• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How many just had surgery

Yeah, I was wondering about the odd taste as well. It is really off putting. My wife says my breath smells different too, not necessarily like traditional bad breath, but just a different smell.

I like the idea of sugar-free mints, I will get some today.

Certain aftertastes may be related to combinations of medicines you're taking now, in conjunction with the supplements you've added. Ask your doctor and nutritionist. Especially if you've added minerals where you weren't taking them before, you can get a persistent taste reaction in saliva.

I've found those chlorine-based mouth rinses to be extremely effective in balancing things out. You use them in the morning before you add any other food or medicine to your system. I take other meds daily and knew that these drugs could cause differences in taste and smell, as well as digestion. Your medical professional can usually tell you why, and there's a ton of information on medical websites about this, too.

Look for different toothpastes, too. The artificial flavors can interact with your taste buds and the pH in your saliva. You can write away for samples and try them out, see if it makes any difference.

Take a probiotic if you don't already, and I mean, a big one with millions of the little culture buggies that alter your stomach flora. I'm so glad I had a friend who insisted I take probiotics. I seemed to catch every little cold within 10 miles of me. I've hardly had a problem since I started taking Pb8, which I buy in triple-packs from Amazon. It costs twice as much on the drug store shelf. It's also helpful with bowel problems.

Oh, one other reason you might have a different taste in your mouth is that you no longer have stomach enzymes to digest food & pass it into your small intestine (especially if you had the sleeve instead of RYGB). You can have stomach trouble as a result, and I was taking omeprazole and ondansetron to aid digestion and counteract nausea for a while. These are available OTC as well. I don't take the omeprazole anymore because my problems were caused by a loose stitch and floating staple discovered by endoscopy last July, and my colonoscopy afterward revealed diverticula. So now I just eat more fiber and all is well.

Back