• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How many months/years did you track your food?

Lesa Marie

I was told by my nut not to count calories, protein intake etc. which I didn’t plan on anyway for personal reasons but I have logged my daily foods for the past 10 weeks since surgery. I’ve enjoyed going back and seeing what I eat in a day and how every week fluctuates and I do pretty darn good stopping myself when I’m full. I do have some days where I want to snack on small things that I probably don’t need to but over all I do decent. I’m just wondering if it would be a bad decision to stop tracking this early or if I should just rely solely on my stomach and will power to keep on track and do what I’m supposed to be doing. When were you comfortable enough to no longer feel the need to track?

I think I was about 6 months out when I thought I would try to eat more intuitively and not record macros. My nutritionist thought that was fine, and we agreed I should spot-check myself every now and then, so I do, and I seem to be staying in the right range. Some folks are more comfortable keeping close track. It just depends on the individual, IMO.

I think I was about 6 months out when I thought I would try to eat more intuitively and not record macros. My nutritionist thought that was fine, and we agreed I should spot-check myself every now and then, so I do, and I seem to be staying in the right range. Some folks are more comfortable keeping close track. It just depends on the individual, IMO.
I think after I posted this I was able to answer my own question lol. Let’s just say that I will keep logging lol! Thanks for your response :)

I tracked and weighed/measured every bite for about 8 months. Then I only did it a few times a week. Once I stopped completely, I did start to gain a bit but quite honestly, I have had other stuff going on. However, I really think it depends on you and your surgery. Some people can barely eat anything and so tracking will not be a big issue for them. If you can't eat, you can't gain. I personally have found no food I cannot eat, except hot fudge. Which tells you everything you need to know about me lmao But seriously, if you can eat more than a few ounces and are likely to do so, tracking may be for you.

I tracked and weighed/measured every bite for about 8 months. Then I only did it a few times a week. Once I stopped completely, I did start to gain a bit but quite honestly, I have had other stuff going on. However, I really think it depends on you and your surgery. Some people can barely eat anything and so tracking will not be a big issue for them. If you can't eat, you can't gain. I personally have found no food I cannot eat, except hot fudge. Which tells you everything you need to know about me lmao But seriously, if you can eat more than a few ounces and are likely to do so, tracking may be for you.
I think that’s great advice, thank you for sharing :)

I stopped keeping track of anything except protein after month 2. I focus on food choices that keep my glucose levels low and fiber high. I eat a diversity of food, but I avoid anything with added sugar, artificial sweeteners, refined grains, or are ultra-processed, with some occasional exceptions. I don't think anything needs to be completely off-limits, within reason. I'll have pizza once a month, I might have a scoop of ice cream once or twice a month, but for the most part, I focus on a diversity of plants and protein without counting calories or other macros. I reached my maintenance weight range around month 9 and I'm currently in month 14 post-op and so far so good. Obviously, there is a long way to go for me to be considered a long-term success story, so I guess you could say the jury is still out on my approach.

That being said, every now and then I will track my foods for two weeks and also wear a continuous glucose monitor to see how my body is responding to my food choices. This has helped me a great deal to find the right choices for my biology and help me be more mindful of what I put in my body. Using a CGM has been one of the best things I've done to train myself and build habits.

I keep an open mind about things and I'm prepared to pivot my approach if things start going astray and I start to regain, but for now things seem to be right where I want them.

What I'm doing may not be the best approach for everyone though, but it's what is working for me so far.

I am just over a year post. I havnt tracked in months but keep a rough map in my brain mostly on protein. I still weigh myself weekly and I use that to keep me on track. My weight hasn't really moved more then the normal couple pounds up and down thus I don't feel the need to keep track.

Back