• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How many of had the gastric bypass, I cant have a sleeve?

christa62

I was all set for a sleeve and have to have a bypass instead and I am not sure I want to do that. Only choice I have due to stomach surgery for medical reasons years ago. I am really disappointed. I am 62 and just want to get something done.

Well, I guess you and I were posting to each other at the same time. But I would encourage you to have the roux-en-y or the duodenal switch, whatever the doctor offers as an alternative to the sleeve. I am actually partial to RYGB. It has a long, stable history of being super effective and no real problems with it as long as people eat the small quantities and follow the lifestyle.

As I said, I had it and I could not be happier. It was tough at first because it is major surgery. But oh my God it is so so so worth it. I don't know how I would have survived without it.

I was doing some filing of paperwork earlier tonight and I found a paper on which I had written notes about bariatric surgery and typical outcomes. Near the bottom I wrote:

"Given my own (and my family) history, it's essential that I lose significant weight before my conditions get worse. My quality of life is horrible. I attribute a great deal of this to my obesity. I will never lose 100 pounds without this assistance."

Well I lost 115 lb and gained a little back, but today I am thin and healthy. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I just had the RYGB on Monday 7.1.19. My doctor said no sleeve do to my acid reflux, but knowing my diabeties is cured with the RYGB made my decision simple. I have now regrets. Pain down since yesterday evening. I am still tired and I try to get protien in all day long.

I am having the bypass on the 15th. Just a little over a week away. I am not changing my mind for nothing. I am confident in my choice. I have been the whole time since the first appointment with the surgeon. Only you can make the decision but put into mind with the benifits of the surgery and what you was getting the sleeve for. Maybe the doctor thinks that the bypass is better for your health issues. Keep calm and think things through. We will be here for you. Just let us all know

Back