• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How to classify certain fruits.

LDM

Good morning all, Since I paid for my surgery, I only got one phone visit with the dietician and if I have any other questions, I have to pay to get a call from her. How do you classify watermelon? Is it considered a food and needs to be eaten 30 minutes after liquids, or is it more liquid? I would classify it as a food but am not certain.

Remind me when your surgery was please, and that’s a really good question, but I’d go with food. I’ve been advised no fruits for 4 weeks post surgery. I don’t see my dietician until the end of the month, but if there’s still questions about it then, I’d be happy to ask! I do see the counselor this Thursday, and could run it by her, but she might not know the answer. Never hurts to ask though! Just make sure to not eat the seeds when you do have it.

I'm 4 weeks post-op with an RYGB on Jun 15....my nutritionist indicated that when I started back on soft foods around week 3 that watermelon was ok...obviously I can only eat 4-5 cubes but I'm really glad to have it back...I tend to view it as a food but I've not been strict with the 30 min rule of liquid after I've had it... of course you should do what works best for your body but that's been my experience

Last edited:
I've 4 weeks post-op with an RYGB on Jun 15....my nutritionist indicated that when I starting back on soft foods around week 3 that watermelon was ok...obviously I can only eat 4-5 cubes but I'm really glad to have it back...I tend to view it as a food but I've not been strict with the 30 min rule of liquid after I've had it... of course you should do what works best for your body but that's been my experience
Yeah I’d say see how your body reacts with a cube or 2 first. See how your body feels about it, and it might fill up your stomach faster because of the water content, but it’ll drain out the liquid also. Just be careful with the sugars.

I would consider watermellon a food, not a drink.
1 serving (280g) watermellon (1 cup)
85 calories
21g carbs
--1.1g fiber
--17g sugar
1.7g protein

vs an apple, which we all consider a "food" not a drink
149g apple (2 3/4" diameter, small)
78 calories
21g carbs
--3.6g fiber
--15g sugar
0.4g protein

Both seem to turn into liquid while chewing, requiring multiple swallows per bite. The watermellon is considerably less nutritionally dense per volume due to the high content of water.

If you need to drink while eating watermellon, it's probably a subtle indication that you are getting full - not that you are thirsty.

I'm no good at math but when I converted these numbers into equal numbers of grams, I found the watermelon was a little better for you than the apple. And it doesn't say whether or not you should peel the apple or eat the skin. That's a pretty big element in the equation, considering the fiber.

I remember my nutritionist telling me that I should eat watermelon as often as possible once I entered the secondary liquid phase. It is so high in water content that it's a tasty and easy way to augment water if you have any trouble drinking.

I would definitely classify it as a food but I think you need to be able to count how many ounces are liquid versus fiber in order compare it to drinking water. The fibrous material that comprises a slice of watermelon is pretty impressive.

When I eat watermelon, I don't feel thirsty so it's not an issue for me. It's a great question though.

There are some fantastic recipes for watermelon salad. I'm getting a craving just writing about it.

Back