• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

how to make clothing last longer?

Looking for Ideas to make clothing last longer
I found and LOVE button pins for jeans. (on Amazon) I can make my jeans last longer and saves me money. They are very easy to use and to move again.
Anyone have some ideas to make my scrub tops last longer? I have some in smaller sizes, but I find I like the big ones better. Fat people get bigger pockets on the front on the scrub tops. I love the pockets when I am at work. My problem is my coworkers keep telling me how bad my scrubs look.
Please give my any ideas

I actually bought a small child size sewing machine (at Aldi for like $20) , just to take in the seams a bit for my favorite clothes. I am not a person who sews often or well, so my seams were a little wonky but turns out you can't actually tell if you leave the clothes a little loose anyway.

The button pins are a new button for your jeans as it is on a pin you can move it over so the jean will fit without falling down. They seem to work well for me at this point. But I can't zip the jean because I have to move the button over so far (happy to say)

The Darts look too hard for me to do you have to pull out a seam on the shirt and sew it again. get it all even looked like a lot for me. But when I watched this on youtube I now have new ideas to try.

I am too cheep to buy new clothes, also to OCD to go and get used clothes.

Bill I hope I didn't just make you sorry you asked LOL

Button pins! Thank you for that idea, I had no idea they existed. I ordered a set.

Get some new scrubs! YOU DESERVE IT! They are not too expensive, I wash and wear my new smaller ones on repeat between my shifts.
You will look cute in the new ones and maybe extend yourself and find some cute colors. I finally bought one pair of the Coral colored pants and they are pretty cute although I am still more comfortable in navy which most people wear around here.

One cool thing about new scrubs is they come in woven stretchy fabrics nowadays so they are much easier to wear. I tried Wonder Winks from Amazon and I like them. Stretch is fantastic, it feels so good all day.

Button pins! Thank you for that idea, I had no idea they existed. I ordered a set.

Get some new scrubs! YOU DESERVE IT! They are not too expensive, I wash and wear my new smaller ones on repeat between my shifts.
You will look cute in the new ones and maybe extend yourself and find some cute colors. I finally bought one pair of the Coral colored pants and they are pretty cute although I am still more comfortable in navy which most people wear around here.

One cool thing about new scrubs is they come in woven stretchy fabrics nowadays so they are much easier to wear. I tried Wonder Winks from Amazon and I like them. Stretch is fantastic, it feels so good all day.
I am still not ready to get too many new scrub tops. I love the old big ones because the pockets are bigger. LOL Do love the wonder winks but Landau is my favorite. I guess I will have to do my wash more often too.

on the buttons pins mine bend if I do them too tight. also take them out before I wash

I am still not ready to get too many new scrub tops. I love the old big ones because the pockets are bigger. LOL Do love the wonder winks but Landau is my favorite. I guess I will have to do my wash more often too.

on the buttons pins mine bend if I do them too tight. also take them out before I wash
Really I don't like the tops, switched to t-shirts they are soft and comfy. Scrub tops feel restrictive to me for some reason. I won't buy any smaller scrub tops tees are good.

I have been selling my clothes that I have grown out of on sites like poshmark and using that money towards clothing items in my new size that are also gently used - and I have treated myself to some brand new things too once in a while. But selling and buying used this has worked well while I am still in progress. I just buy basics I can mix and match. Helps that i work from home too so I don’t need a huge wardrobe.

I say wear a shirt under the scrub top, if you want to keep the larger ones. I hear you on the pockets. I used to make my own when I wore scrubs. Very handy. Even found a pattern with the jacket and put snaps on it. Other option move the pockets to smaller scrub shirt

I
I have been selling my clothes that I have grown out of on sites like poshmark and using that money towards clothing items in my new size that are also gently used - and I have treated myself to some brand new things too once in a while. But selling and buying used this has worked well while I am still in progress. I just buy basics I can mix and match. Helps that i work from home too so I don’t need a huge wardrobe.
think I need to check out this poshmark , I have casual work clothes I need to find a new home for.and a couple of swimsuits. I have found clothes I had in 2016 that are fitting now. 5 pair of jeans and shirts and blouses and 2 dresses. I put new elastic in one pair of shorts and the fit great.

I went to poshmark and signed on still not sure how all this works but I will give it time. Any ideas or suggestions I really need them. Especially on how to put stuff for sale

Last edited:

This is an EXCELLENT idea! Sadly, it never occurred to me but I really like it. I just donated everything.
Also, guys, go ahead and pick up at least a few new things that fit you. I know in the beginning you lose and buying clothes that fit can get expensive when you have to do it almost every month. But if you are down 2 sizes, it's time to pick up at least a few things. Big clothes ARE comfy. But you literally had surgery to lose weight, so it's obviously important to you. SEEING the difference is much easier in clothes that fit you. Most everyone hear has mentioned a new outfit or clothing size as a NSV. Don't cheat yourself out of that.

Back