• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hydration - dehydration

Anyone have an issue of feeling dehydrated? Pre-op I consumed at least 80 oz of fluid (mostly water). Post-op I barely consume 44 oz. Most of that is protein drinks or milk. I get very little water. Only being able to consume 1 oz. every 15 minutes and avoiding liquids 30 minutes befor/after a meal means that I can only consume a max. of 13 hours x 15 minutes it equals only 52 oz. I do not bthw aip that much as I only make it to 44 ounces. Where I live it is HOT well into the fall months and I feel thirsty much of the time. Does this go away as time goes on?

-------------------------------------------------UPDATE 9-14-2014-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Ralph, Smiles50 and StinkerBelle for your input. I am doing much better now as I am in my 28th day. Since my post I have discovered that I had a blockage in my bile duct. This past week I had a surgical procedure performed called a PCT where they inserted a drain into the bile duct that collects the bile which was built up in my body. It was the reaction to the bile that was making me sick and feel dehydrated. I was draining out 1.5 litres of bile each day for 3 days and it has now dropped to about 1 litre. My body was polluted. I still feel lethargic but do feel an improvement. They are not sure why the bile duct is blocked. They said it is either cancer, tumor, stone or scarring. Mind you I did not have this issue prior to surgery. Anyhow they go back in and do another PCT in about 10 days and if needed place a stint in the duct to keep it open. I am saying prayers and keeping my fingers crossed. Best wishes to all of you.

Last edited:
As time goes by you will be able to consume more water. I was the same way it was very hard to get my water in but it did get better.

Chances are your brown urine is related to dehydration.. Ask your Dr. about having some Power Ade Zero and Crystal Light to make it easier to sip more liquids..

I am surprised you were allowed to come home if your only able to consume 44 ounces.. My surgeon keeps people in until they can hit a minimum of 65 ounces total.

Water is also hard for me i get about 36 ounces in a day but working on getting more my dr told me to get sugar free drinks and that is what i am doing it is easier for me never liked water but I still do my water also and getting use to it just take it one day at a time you will in time drink more then a ounce at a time.

Hey smiles50, thanks. I am doing better since the last post. My problem was trying to consume 1 oz. fluid every 15 min. But now I am in stage 3 and was told I could consume 8 oz per hour which makes it easier to get in my 44 ounces minimum of liquid. Part of the problem is that before surgery I consumed over 100 ounces of fluid a day. Also a problem I could down 16 ounces of water without taking a breath. Now, it's the opposite. Which requires some radical change on my part. But I doing better with it thanks.

YW maddog, I am glad it is becoming easier for you I still struggle with my water but am doing the best I can just keep up the good work it is a life change and i would do it again in a minute!

Also, it is important to note that you are required to drink up to 64 ounces of liquid. All liquids count. Your shakes count, your soups count, etc., etc.,

It is also good to have water and have as much as you can.

I tend to drink about 3 glasses of milk a day.

I have a couple cups of decaf coffee in the early go.

so, the liquid does add up.

It isn't just water.

Ralph

Back