• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I’m having the gastric sleeve at Rush University Medical Center on 02/11/2020. Feeling a little nervous about the surgery and possible complications.

Donna, you're going to be fine. I'm sorry you've had to have so many surgeries but I have a feeling the sleeve is going to be a breeze for you compared to everything else you've gone through. There are many many posts here that you can read and you can do a search for a specific subject, like spinal problems, to see if anyone else has had the same issues that you have had.

Just off the top of my head I'd say that we have had some people whose recovery was rather complicated and who had multiple issues to deal with. But for the most part, all you're going to rehear is success story after success story after success story. Weight loss surgery does work when nothing else will.

Thanks for joining us and welcome to the group.

Need encouraging words or success stories!! I’m 64 y/o and have had about 12 surgeries in my lifetime so not looking forward to another! I have cervical and lumbar spine problems and can’t have surgery until I lose weight.
Hi Donna and welcome. :)

If you poke around this site, I'm sure you'll find many encouraging stories but I'll give you mine in a nutshell.

I've been overweight most of my life, since about age 7. I lived my life on a "diet", most of the time failing. I did succeed every so often by essentially starving myself but always found that I couldn't keep it up long term and would regain it all, plus an extra 20+ pounds each time. As I entered my 40s, I became borderline diabetic and my body was so tired and hurt from carrying around the extra 100+ pounds. In 2018 at 44 years old I crossed the line and was finally diagnosed with diabetes and put on medication. I tried to loose the weight again as I always did, lost over 40 pounds in 3 months but then lost momentum and started regaining. I felt a little lost.

I'd looked into surgery twice in the past but lost so much weight pre-op that I continued on my own. But it hit me, maybe the surgery isn't just for loosing the weight, but a tool to help me keep it off for life. I started doing research and found many people were in the same boat as me, lifelong yo-yo-ers. And after surgery, they had now kept the weight off for decades! I knew this was what I needed and never looked back.

I had my first consultation on 12/18/18, buckled down and lost the 10% required by my surgeon while jumping through all the insurance hoops and requirements and had my surgery less than 3 months later. It was the best decision I ever made.

My first goal was set by my surgeon, to loose 100 pounds - I surpassed that by 5 months post-op.

My second goal was to loose another 22 pounds (to reach my previous low weight of 168) - I surpassed that goal by 9 months post-op.

My final goal will to be within the "normal" weight range on the BMI chart. I have approximately 13 pounds to go and should be there by 1 year post-op. This will mean a total of 136 pounds lost in 1 year. :)

I'm sure you'll get many other stories here and hope they help ease your worries. Good luck with everything and please keep us posted on your journey.

It was great to hear your story again, Brenda. I frequently forget everyone's stories and kind of wish they would repeat them, but I'm too embarrassed to ask. So thank you for the refresher and congratulations once again. You are certainly one of our greatest success stories here.
Thank you Diane. It all happened so quickly for me that it's been such a whirlwind. It's nuts when I remember that my surgery was only 10 months ago!

Need encouraging words or success stories!! I’m 64 y/o and have had about 12 surgeries in my lifetime so not looking forward to another! I have cervical and lumbar spine problems and can’t have surgery until I lose weight.
Welcome to the group Donna! You have come to the right place for encouragement and success stories! This is a really good group of people that have either been through it or are going through it and we can all sympathize with what is happening in our minds and bodies as we take this journey.

My journey is much like Brenda's. I have been overweight my whole life (my whole family is, apart from one sister who works her ass off to not be like the rest of us). I have tried fad diet after fad diet and nothing ever worked long term. Of course I would lose some weight and then gain it back plus some.

Cutting calories always felt like starving myself. On a normal day I would eat about 2200 calories and I didn't really realize it. Then when I would focus on cutting back, I didn't feel nourished and was always hungry because I was only eating about 1200 calories.

After years of contemplating the surgery, I finally met with the surgeon Dec 26, 2018 and started pushing ahead. My surgeon's only requirement was to not gain any additional weight. I had to do 6 months of dr monitored weight loss and then insurance would approve. I lost 50 lbs before my surgery on Sep 16, 2019 by simply changing my habits so that after the surgery I was set up for success (increase water intake, add veggies and fruits to my diet, increase protein, give up soda, etc.).

I was a best case scenario with my surgery. No complications! I am now 4 months out and am now 100 lbs down :D I still have a ways to go but I am over 2/3rds of the way there.

Going into it, it does seem very scary because it is unknown. Even when you read all of the stories and watch videos, and just research every little piece you can, you are still scared. That is because you just don't know how you personally will react after the surgery. From stories I have heard it sound like even with complications, the majority of people are happy with the choice they made. Don't let the fear of the unknown hold you back, for it is the unknown that you aspire to reach. Keep up the great work and keep us posted on your journey. :)

Welcome to the group Donna! You have come to the right place for encouragement and success stories! This is a really good group of people that have either been through it or are going through it and we can all sympathize with what is happening in our minds and bodies as we take this journey.

My journey is much like Brenda's. I have been overweight my whole life (my whole family is, apart from one sister who works her ass off to not be like the rest of us). I have tried fad diet after fad diet and nothing ever worked long term. Of course I would lose some weight and then gain it back plus some.

Cutting calories always felt like starving myself. On a normal day I would eat about 2200 calories and I didn't really realize it. Then when I would focus on cutting back, I didn't feel nourished and was always hungry because I was only eating about 1200 calories.

After years of contemplating the surgery, I finally met with the surgeon Dec 26, 2018 and started pushing ahead. My surgeon's only requirement was to not gain any additional weight. I had to do 6 months of dr monitored weight loss and then insurance would approve. I lost 50 lbs before my surgery on Sep 16, 2019 by simply changing my habits so that after the surgery I was set up for success (increase water intake, add veggies and fruits to my diet, increase protein, give up soda, etc.).

I was a best case scenario with my surgery. No complications! I am now 4 months out and am now 100 lbs down :D I still have a ways to go but I am over 2/3rds of the way there.

Going into it, it does seem very scary because it is unknown. Even when you read all of the stories and watch videos, and just research every little piece you can, you are still scared. That is because you just don't know how you personally will react after the surgery. From stories I have heard it sound like even with complications, the majority of people are happy with the choice they made. Don't let the fear of the unknown hold you back, for it is the unknown that you aspire to reach. Keep up the great work and keep us posted on your journey. :)
You hit the 100??? Congratulations!!! :)

I do! It is crazy to look back on just a couple of weeks ago and the difference I feel just from then.... let alone the difference in the past year, lol. Slowly I'm becoming more and more active as well as gaining back more energy. Such a wonderful feeling as I'm sure you know too! How have you been doing?
Good for you, that’s great! You are a shining example and you look beautiful :)
and I’m doing great thanks, my weight has stabilized thank goodness and I’m more or less back to normal, which is just as well as I’ve been working 60 hour weeks!

100#'s in 4 months!!! That is so amazing!!! I gotta ask... HOW do you keep up with the drop in clothes sizes??? I LOVE to shop and really love the good stuff... but the thought of buying clothes that will be too big a month later is freaking my credit card out hahahahah. How many sizes have you lost? CONGRATS!!!!!!

100#'s in 4 months!!! That is so amazing!!! I gotta ask... HOW do you keep up with the drop in clothes sizes??? I LOVE to shop and really love the good stuff... but the thought of buying clothes that will be too big a month later is freaking my credit card out hahahahah. How many sizes have you lost? CONGRATS!!!!!!
Thank you :D But I will clarify, it is actually only 50 lbs in 4 months. I had lost 50 prior to surgery.

I was a size 26 when I was at my highest weight. I kept using those same clothes throughout the loss of the first 50. Right before surgery, I went shopping with my sister and decided to try on a couple of outfits to see where I was. I fit into a size 16 (although comfortably I was at an 18 lol). So after surgery I ended up buying 16-18's and now I am in between a 14-16. I have had to give up some of the 18's because I am now used to wearing clothes that fit so I can look good :).

To keep it easy, I have 5 pair of black leggings and a few shirts and cardigans that I can pair with them as my daily outfits. I also bought one pair of jeans for the weekends. I am just trying to keep it minimal for now and then once I am at a steady weight, I can go crazy! I realized the last time I went shopping for a few smaller shirts that I can actually start shopping at pretty much any store now... and it freaked me out! I have based my styles on 2-3 stores that I bought all of my clothes from. So somewhat soon I need to go out and window shop at all the stores I have wanted to go to and see what my new style is going to be like. While it is overwhelming, I am also excited!

Thank you :D But I will clarify, it is actually only 50 lbs in 4 months. I had lost 50 prior to surgery.

I was a size 26 when I was at my highest weight. I kept using those same clothes throughout the loss of the first 50. Right before surgery, I went shopping with my sister and decided to try on a couple of outfits to see where I was. I fit into a size 16 (although comfortably I was at an 18 lol). So after surgery I ended up buying 16-18's and now I am in between a 14-16. I have had to give up some of the 18's because I am now used to wearing clothes that fit so I can look good :).

To keep it easy, I have 5 pair of black leggings and a few shirts and cardigans that I can pair with them as my daily outfits. I also bought one pair of jeans for the weekends. I am just trying to keep it minimal for now and then once I am at a steady weight, I can go crazy! I realized the last time I went shopping for a few smaller shirts that I can actually start shopping at pretty much any store now... and it freaked me out! I have based my styles on 2-3 stores that I bought all of my clothes from. So somewhat soon I need to go out and window shop at all the stores I have wanted to go to and see what my new style is going to be like. While it is overwhelming, I am also excited!
It's so freaking exciting... I've held off on any shopping until after this next surgery since I have no idea what my body will look like or what size I'll be wearing but I can't wait!!!

Lets go!!!!!!

Back