• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I am 22 yrs s/p roux-n-y, it has been over 1 week since last BM

What are the medical signs of a possible stricture or blockage at the upper anastomosis? I am constantly filling up with gas, causing intense pain in the area right above my umbilicus. I get relief after I lay flat for a while. I had an abdominal/pelvic CT done last week because this has been an ongoing problem, but that showed only swelling to the site. I've tried all OTC meds and powders for constipation and gas, with no positive results. Any suggestions, short of going back to an overcrowded and short-staffed ER?

Yes - I had this happen before and they thought there was a massive blockage problem and they gave me pills called Linzess from the GI doctor - just stay near the bathroom haha. But i'm sure you feel terrible too! I would see if you can get in with a gastroenterologist and let them know it's urgent?

I would definitely call the doctor. Immediately after surgery, it is common to not go for a while because you have had anesthesia and then on liquids (I was over 2 weeks post op, and it was miserable, but huge relief once it finally happened), but once you are reintroducing even the puree stage, you should be back to your normal (different for everyone).

Back