• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I am new-

I plan on having the gastric by pass. The weight management class started the first part of August til second of November. The bariatric class began October 12th. I have been following the bariatric diet since October 12th, and weight management recommendations since August. So far, I have lost 26 pounds. I feel as though I don't know what I don't know. I should have questions. I am thinking I will just follow to the letter what the Dr.'s tell me to do.

Sounds like you’re doing really awesome! I had bypass on 10/26 this year. I think the questions I wish I would have were about how does hunger feel after, how long until I’ll feel hunger, and about bowel movements. The first 2 can definitely be dependent on the individual. The nurses had said that I should have a BM by 3 days after surgery, and certainly didn’t happen. I had my gallbladder out at the same time and that really did more to my regularity than the bypass. I only recently had a somewhat normal BM, and it was still really soft. So that’s all fun to talk about hahaha I felt just like you though, like I should have a million questions, but I really didn’t by the end. Have you talked about using an abdominal binder?

Welcome Mary Beth. Have you taken a look at some of the older posts in this group? Sometimes that might lead to questions or situations that may not have come up in your classes. I had gastric sleeve done in June so not familiar with the bypass although some situations after surgery may be somewhat similar. If you haven't already done so, make a binder for yourself for any handouts you may have received from your class or the doctor. It makes it handy when you are looking for something specific. Good luck in your journey!

Back