• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I got my surgery date!!!!

Debbie S

Hello everyone. I have officially been given my surgery date. It will be May 5, 2015.

I am a mixed of emotions (excited, nervous, and maybe a tad bit scared -- scared of what??? I am not sure). I also have to have a minor surgery on May 1, 2015 for a Vena Cava Filter to be put in (my neck) due to my Pulmonary Hypertension.

Now I have some questions for everyone:

First, how did you feel when waking up after surgery? I expect to be sore, but is the pain tolerable? I have a high pain tolerance but still we are getting our stomach's resized.

Second, how much walking did you start doing right after surgery? I know you have to walk daily, but is there a good amount one should walk and when should we start this goal?

Third, I know the first two weeks will be clear liquids, I am curious as to how many people drank the full amount of 64 ounces as well as the other liquids we are supposed to consume for calories.

I am trying to prepare myself for my family so I know what to expect and the best way is to hear it from anyone who has gone through all of this.

I am sure I will have more questions, but I am finally excited to lose this weight and find the "skinny in me" that has been hiding for all so long!

Thanking everyone in advance.

Your friend

~Debbie~

Hello everyone. I have officially been given my surgery date. It will be May 5, 2015.

I am a mixed of emotions (excited, nervous, and maybe a tad bit scared -- scared of what??? I am not sure). I also have to have a minor surgery on May 1, 2015 for a Vena Cava Filter to be put in (my neck) due to my Pulmonary Hypertension.

Now I have some questions for everyone:

First, how did you feel when waking up after surgery? I expect to be sore, but is the pain tolerable? I have a high pain tolerance but still we are getting our stomach's resized.

Second, how much walking did you start doing right after surgery? I know you have to walk daily, but is there a good amount one should walk and when should we start this goal?

Third, I know the first two weeks will be clear liquids, I am curious as to how many people drank the full amount of 64 ounces as well as the other liquids we are supposed to consume for calories.

I am trying to prepare myself for my family so I know what to expect and the best way is to hear it from anyone who has gone through all of this.

I am sure I will have more questions, but I am finally excited to lose this weight and find the "skinny in me" that has been hiding for all so long!

Thanking everyone in advance.

Your friend

~Debbie~

First of all the pain was much better than I expected. My stomach was sore, it felt bruised and only hurt when I moved but not at all when I stayed still. I didn't do a lot of walking at first but just enough to not get blood clots although the hospital I went to hooked me up to a machine that pulsed my feet to keep the blood flowing. I increased my walking over time but gave myself time to heal and recuperate.

It took me awhile to be able to drink enough liquids. I got full really fast I guess cause my surgeon said he made my new stomach pouch only sized to hold 2 oz. That's what helped me lose weight so fast, I felt so full after just a couple bites. I felt like I just ate Thanksgiving dinner.

Congratulations on your decision of a lifetime! I really enjoyed my weight loss journey. I loved watching the scale go down and my transformation from tent sized clothes to normal sized clothing. I loved being able to sit in a chair without worrying that I might not fit well. I loved passing a store window and seeing my reflection and being amazed that it was really me.

Good luck to you! I hope you enjoy your journey as well as I have enjoyed mine.

Cheyenne :cool:

Congratulations.

Pain was minimal. Take your pain meds don't let pain get ahead of you.

The stuff I had in the hospital was WONDERFUL !!! :)

Walking began immediately in the hospital, but don't over do it.

In the early go getting all the gas out post op is the issue. This lasted a couple of weeks. You would get gas pains in the darndest places like in your shoulders, but that alleviates within the first couple of weeks.

Remember this is surgery so take it easy. Let your body tell you how quickly you can move around and how much.

Keep a list of accomplishments besides your weight loss. Enjoy your new journey. Before you know it you will be a new and healthier person.

Ralph

Thank you Cheyenne and Ralph!

I am trying to get everything in my house ready so when I do have the surgery i will not freak out. I am looking forward to being healthy and not taking so many darn medicines.

My pre-op appointment is on April 22 which is where I will meet my doctor one final time before surgery.

I am ready to begin the new me!

Thank you Cheyenne and Ralph!

I am trying to get everything in my house ready so when I do have the surgery i will not freak out. I am looking forward to being healthy and not taking so many darn medicines.

My pre-op appointment is on April 22 which is where I will meet my doctor one final time before surgery.

I am ready to begin the new me!

Ok Ok ao here I go again to show people that there are other benefits besides weight loss with this surgery. Here are mine:

Accomplishments as a result of my Bariatric Gastric Bypass (11/4/2013)

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year.
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy and I can dance, dance and dance!
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now and I can see my toes.
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless
• I squeeze out between two cars that were tightly parked together. A year ago I couldn’t get out of the car; I would be trapped.
• I squeezed into a size 38 pair of pants. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping on side is comfortable now. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping flat on my back is doing fine too. No longer need to be propped up. (6/1/2014)
• I have reached my goal of under 200. I weigh 197 (9/9/2014)
• Size 38 Pants fitting comfortably now (9/9/2014)

There, now start keeping a journal of all the accomplishments besides weight that you will encounter.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Back