• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I Guess I am Doing Good?

dlfjr1

I started my journey in June of 2013. I started at 330lbs. I am 5ft 11in. My ideal weight on the so called ideal chart is 170lbs. I want to get to around 200lbs. I had the Gastric sleeve surgery. When I initially saw my doctor, he told me that I should lose about 60% of my weight within a year. The weight I should lose is 160lbs. 60% would be 96lbs. It has been 7 months and I have lost 88lbs. I guess I am doing well. I have gone from a 3x shirt to an xl and 48jeans to 38. I just get a little frustrated because there are times where I dont lose any weight in a week.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there and alternative to the vitamins I am taking that are a little cheaper? I am taking Optisource Post Bariatric Chewables. I take 3 a day.

2) I am on a 1200 calorie diet. I was wondering if that number should be adjusted if I exercise a lot. For example, I did zumba the other day and it said I burned 1000 calories. Should I eat a little more to compensate? My net calories would be 200.

Looks like you are ahead of where your doctor said you should be, so you should be very proud. When you were gaining, you didn't gain every week, so you shouldn't expect to lose every week. As long as the scale continues on a downward path, you're doing great.
People take a variety of vitamins post-WLS. Everything from expensive bariatric vitamins to Flintstone chewables. I don't know what is the best. My doctor is big on vitamin replacement, but he says he goes to conferences where some of the surgeons don't see a need for it. I know I'm not getting all the vitamins I need from the little I eat every day so I take what my doctor says I should. I'll see at my 6-month checkup if my blood levels are good or not. I guess that should be your guide--if your blood levels are normal or show deficiency in anything.
Exactly how long do you do zumba? 1000 calories is an awful lot to burn in a work out session. You should be passing out if your net calories are only 200.

I eat 2 flinstones, 2 caltrate calcium, spring valley vit d, cvs iron and spring valley b-complex sublingual.

MY FITNESS PAL says zumba for an hour is about 1000 calories burned.

The actual calorie burn is based on your current weight. Zumba for an hour is a lot.

As far as weight goes I am post op two months and I have already experienced two weight plateaus. They are part of the process. As long as you are following the program know that the weight will continue to come off. The body does its own thing and sometimes takes a time out.

Also, keep taking tape measurements. I measure waistline up at the belly button and watch that decrease as well as the neck.

Don't go over the 1200 calories per day unless your surgeon says to do so. The danger here is you might start to eat too much and stretch the pouch.

Sounds crazy but maybe Zumba for an hour is too much. Talk to your doctor about this as well.

Ralph

Back