• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I have a surgery date for Gastric Sleeve but still questioning

Flowersz

I was approved for Bariatric surgery because of Diabetes, Hypertension, Sleep Apnea and Kidney Disease. I have 50 lbs to lose. My doctor says that I need the surgery bec of my conditions. I am still second guessing my decision to go through with this bec I’m thinking I can do it myself. I know I can’t because I’ve tried for over 30-40 years to no avail.

I was approved for Bariatric surgery because of Diabetes, Hypertension, Sleep Apnea and Kidney Disease. I have 50 lbs to lose. My doctor says that I need the surgery bec of my conditions. I am still second guessing my decision to go through with this bec I’m thinking I can do it myself. I know I can’t because I’ve tried for over 30-40 years to no avail.
Hi Flowers,

It's not a decision to be taken lightly so it's understandable that you're second guessing yourself. Have you had your psych eval yet? If not, perhaps you can make the most of that appointment and discuss your conflicting feelings about it with a professional?

Are there specific pros and cons you're weighing? Anything we could give you feedback about or help you understand better?

I wish you the clarity to come to a decision you're confident about. Good luck. :)

Thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement. I’ve had my visit with the Psychologist and we have discussed my concerns. I know that I have to do this for my health. It is no longer just weight loss. It is a life saving lifestyle change. I struggle to change the way I think so that I’m not worried about the stigma and judgement I think I will get from family and friends when they find out. I need to keep thinking that I am worth it and that it’s my turn to take care of myself. My doctor told me that. I also need to not worry about the hair loss, the malabsorption, the vitamin deficiency, and other side effects. As my son says, it is better to manage those than to try to struggle to manage Diabetes, Hypertension and Kidney Disease. I’m blessed that my family especially my husband and my children are very supportive of me and are my biggest
Cheerleaders. I’m thankful to find this group too! At the end of the day, I will go through with the Lap Sleeve Gastrectomy to save my life. Thanks to all!

I have all the same illnesses except for sleep apnea. I was scared up until I went in to the operating room. Just do afraid. It will be worth it

Hit this head on. No looking back. Leap and you'll only be better for it. You've got this!!!!
Thank you so much. The support that I get from all of you is so important to me. It gives me strength and hope.
My family is also helping me with my self-talk.
“Healthy not skinny.”
“Metabolic surgery not just Bariatric surgery”
“It’s time to take care of myself first “
“I’m saving my life.”
“I will not listen to the nay sayers.”
“I’ve got this!” (Thank you for this one)

Thank you so much. The support that I get from all of you is so important to me. It gives me strength and hope.
My family is also helping me with my self-talk.
“Healthy not skinny.”
“Metabolic surgery not just Bariatric surgery”
“It’s time to take care of myself first “
“I’m saving my life.”
“I will not listen to the nay sayers.”
“I’ve got this!” (Thank you for this one)
Get into the habit of repeating the positive affirmations to yourself. You will need the reminder :) It can feel weird/funny doing it, but you have to remind yourself of all the positive aspects of this. And you are definitely right, You've Got This!!!!!

Hi. My name is Tarsha. Quick question...what have you tried to lose weight?

Hi. My name is Tarsha. Quick question...what have you tried to lose weight?

Tasha, welcome to the group. Even though your question is directed to Flowerz, I think you're going to hear the same answer you hear from everyone in this group. A whole bunch of people used the lap band, which failed and had to be converted to a bariatric surgery. As for the rest of us oh, you can bet we have used every single fad diet, used Fen-phen, Optifast, and gone to Weight Watchers multiple times. None of the programs, potions and surgery have been permanent and most people will tell you they gained back all their weight and a little bit more. That is certainly my story with the exception of the lap band.

Again welcome to the group. You are loved by us. If you need support or help, please ask. We are happy to answer to the extent of our abilities.

Hi there,
Sounds like I'm in your boat! I've wavered for months while all along taking tests & continuing to get the prerequisites finished as soon as I possibly could.
I'm 63 now, & so tired of carrying this extra person around with me. It's taken me a long time to really want to eat better, & live longer w/o having to roll around in a wheelchair because I can't lose the weight that's required of me to have BOTH my hips replaced!!
I'm doing this while I have the chance. It could save my life if I just try harder & stay determined!!
You can do this too!
My surgery (gastric sleeve) is scheduled for next week, Jan.21, 2020.
Good luck!!

Hi there,
Sounds like I'm in your boat! I've wavered for months while all along taking tests & continuing to get the prerequisites finished as soon as I possibly could.
I'm 63 now, & so tired of carrying this extra person around with me. It's taken me a long time to really want to eat better, & live longer w/o having to roll around in a wheelchair because I can't lose the weight that's required of me to have BOTH my hips replaced!!
I'm doing this while I have the chance. It could save my life if I just try harder & stay determined!!
You can do this too!
Good luck!!

Hi.
I had my sleeve Gastrectomy on 12/16. I’m so glad I did it. I’ve had some challenges but it is still all worth it.

All the best in your upcoming surgery!

Hi there,
You can do this too!
Good luck!!
Hello. I'm 65 and having the sleeve on the same day as you! I use a walker when I go out, have diabetes, HBP, sleep apnea. I'm ready to get better.

my doctor suggested I have the surgery because I have Diabetes, Hypertension, Sleep Apnea, and Liver disease. The day I had the surgery I don't need any medication for Diabetes, also quit most of my medications for hypertension. you you have made the right decision, it's worth it.

Hi.
I had my sleeve Gastrectomy on 12/16. I’m so glad I did it. I’ve had some challenges but it is still all worth it.

All the best in your upcoming surgery!
Cool!
Glad to hear!
Have you lost?
I'm nervous because I've already had 4 abdominal hernia repairs (3 w mesh, of which 2 of the types that were used have been recalled)
PLus, I've had 3 other abdominal surgeries foe experimental weight loss w a gastric pacemaker.(in the early 90's) I no longer have the pacemaker.Mesh is still there. Nov.2016 I had my last hernia surgery, I had a 10 day hospital stay. I always was discharged the following day w all my other abdominal surgeries.
Anywho, God's got my plan & I'm positive it's a great one!
Good luck, I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Back