• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I just read something....

booboo709

I just read something about a blood thinner shot for you at home. This is the first I heard of this.... I don't know if I can do that. HELP do they still do this for RNY surgery? I have only 3 days before my surgery and I am on my pre-op liquid diet. Things are going ok A LOT OF EMOTIONS!!!! WOW. Well I have to get going talk to yas soon
booboo709.

Hi booboo709 I never heard about the blood thinner thing for home. Go through your doctor for that if necessary. Don't ever do that on your own. How exciting, your surgery is very soon. You'll do great. Good luck. Best wishes. Keep us posted on how your surgery goes okay? Be sure after the surgery, you do as much walking as you can. It will help you heal faster. Just a little surgery advice. :). God Bless

I just read something about a blood thinner shot for you at home. This is the first I heard of this.... I don't know if I can do that. HELP do they still do this for RNY surgery? I have only 3 days before my surgery and I am on my pre-op liquid diet. Things are going ok A LOT OF EMOTIONS!!!! WOW. Well I have to get going talk to yas soon
booboo709.

Yes, this is true. I had been on Coumadin blood thinner but they had to get me off of it before my RNY surgery. My doctor prescribed another blood thinner I had to give myself a shot every day for about two weeks before surgery and about a month after surgery. I just wasn't allowed it the day before surgery nor the day of surgery. The reason the blood thinner was prescribed was because it left your system quickly, in one day it was gone from your body where as Coumadin takes a couple weeks to get out of your system. I forget the name of the blood thinner though. I was also put on it when I had gall bladder surgery and my hysterectomy. Certainly your surgeon should be familiar with it. The Coumadin center I went to that checked my blood levels were the first to mention to me that I would be put on it. It's a very fine needle and doesn't really hurt to give yourself the shot. The nurses gave it to me while I was in the hospital but sometimes I had to remind them.

Keep us posted.. Good luck!!! Your journey is about to begin!!!

Cheyenne

The blood thinner is Lovenox. Directions say 40 mg administered once a day for people having surgery who need a blood thinner.

Back