• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I may have developed a complication

Kathi_S

I started having more pain a couple of days ago, just left of center of what I believe is my stomach. It is constant and not relieved by Tylenol. It was so bad yesterday that it made it difficult to eat. In an effort to get both my water and protein in, I replaced a meal with a protein water. I had to resort to pain meds to get my water in.

I called my surgeon first thing this morning. He's having me come in tomorrow for some tests. He's put me back on clear liquids, which is absolutely fine with me.

I thought I would also mention that I tried the Tylenol dissolve packs. I am not completely sure, but I think they may have caused dumping in me. Shortly after using I'd get generalized bloating and abdominal pain, lightheaded and a few hours larer major diarrhea.

My doctor told me to hold off on all Tylenol for now (crushed Tylenol makes me gag, liquid contains either high fructose corn syrup or sugar alcohols and the dissolve packs have sugar alcohol). Apparently, I am very sensitive to sugar alcohols.

Hopefully all tests will be normal. I am supposed to see my daughter's and grandson this Thursday and will be beyond disappointed if anything keeps me from doing so.

I remain optimistic. It may just be something simple like muscle pain that I have mistaken for stomach pain. It is still so new to me. I thought I was better safe than sorry, so I called the surgeon rather than worrying about it. I'd rather not have to take the pain meds, but better those than dehydration.

I started having more pain a couple of days ago, just left of center of what I believe is my stomach. It is constant and not relieved by Tylenol. It was so bad yesterday that it made it difficult to eat. In an effort to get both my water and protein in, I replaced a meal with a protein water. I had to resort to pain meds to get my water in.

I called my surgeon first thing this morning. He's having me come in tomorrow for some tests. He's put me back on clear liquids, which is absolutely fine with me.

I thought I would also mention that I tried the Tylenol dissolve packs. I am not completely sure, but I think they may have caused dumping in me. Shortly after using I'd get generalized bloating and abdominal pain, lightheaded and a few hours larer major diarrhea.

My doctor told me to hold off on all Tylenol for now (crushed Tylenol makes me gag, liquid contains either high fructose corn syrup or sugar alcohols and the dissolve packs have sugar alcohol). Apparently, I am very sensitive to sugar alcohols.

Hopefully all tests will be normal. I am supposed to see my daughter's and grandson this Thursday and will be beyond disappointed if anything keeps me from doing so.
I’m sorry Kathi, I also had quite a few complications after surgery and numerous visits to the ER, it all works itself out in the end. Good luck tomorrow and take it easy x

I remain optimistic. It may just be something simple like muscle pain that I have mistaken for stomach pain. It is still so new to me. I thought I was better safe than sorry, so I called the surgeon rather than worrying about it. I'd rather not have to take the pain meds, but better those than dehydration.

I have also wondered what the quick dissolve tylenol. I started feeling worse on the day I started taking it. Not 100% sure but will talk with the Dr. Tomorrow.

Hopefully you get some answers soon!

Sorry you have to go thru this!! I hope it isn't anything major. Please keep us updated

Yikes. I'm sorry you're having pain but think it's super smart hat you immediately called your surgeon. Pain is nothing to mess around with and really, better safe than sorry. Hopefully it's something simple that can be relieved by a dietary change. I know you are looking forward to the visit with the new grandson so I hope everything is good. Keep us posted.

Hope this is resolved quickly. Glad you called doctor

All is well! I have a fluid pocket in the muscle wall below one of my stitches. The fluid should eventually be absorbed by surrounding tissue. The first thing my surgeon said is that I looked too healthy to have anything serious wrong!

I did feel better this morning than yesterday, but still had some constant pain. I decided to go get checked out anyway, better safe than sorry. I also saw my nutritionist, which was even better!

Now I no longer have to worry about this pain, but as of tomorrow I am upgraded to soft foods and can start my vitamins! My weight restrictions were lifted, so I can pick up my grandbaby when I see him on Thursday!

I'm having a good day.

All is well! I have a fluid pocket in the muscle wall below one of my stitches. The fluid should eventually be absorbed by surrounding tissue. The first thing my surgeon said is that I looked too healthy to have anything serious wrong!

I did feel better this morning than yesterday, but still had some constant pain. I decided to go get checked out anyway, better safe than sorry. I also saw my nutritionist, which was even better!

Now I no longer have to worry about this pain, but as of tomorrow I am upgraded to soft foods and can start my vitamins! My weight restrictions were lifted, so I can pick up my grandbaby when I see him on Thursday!

I'm having a good day.

That is wonderful news Kathi!!! And love that you have the clearance to pick up your new grandbaby!!! So happy for you!!

I probably overreacted, but after spending several days dumping before I figured out that I was dumping, and then to have that constant pain that was new, kind of worried me. I was so relieved to find out it was nothing serious.

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! It means a lot to me.

Back