• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I need help

I joined this group because I need help. I had surgery in September of 2020 and since have major issues with having energy. I know I need to exercise but I have no energy, I can not seem to want to get out of bed and when I do I am lucky to do daily chores. I did try yoga and walking but I am so sore afterwards and can not hardly move for two days or so........ can anyone suggest anything?!?!?! I had to give up a good job because I couldn’t stay hydrated and had no energy..... I could use any suggestions that could help me get energy and muscle mass back. Hydration is a problem for me and I could use any suggestions I can get on how to stay hydrated.

Hi Daisy, I'm glad you found us, welcome to the group. I'm sorry you are having problems with your energy levels. Do you track you protein intake and your water intake to make sure you are getting in what your doctor says is the minimum? Are you taking your vitamin and mineral supplements daily? I'd also reach out to your doctor's office to let them know what is going on. They might want to do lab work or may have other suggestions.

I joined this group because I need help. I had surgery in September of 2020 and since have major issues with having energy. I know I need to exercise but I have no energy, I can not seem to want to get out of bed and when I do I am lucky to do daily chores. I did try yoga and walking but I am so sore afterwards and can not hardly move for two days or so........ can anyone suggest anything?!?!?! I had to give up a good job because I couldn’t stay hydrated and had no energy..... I could use any suggestions that could help me get energy and muscle mass back. Hydration is a problem for me and I could use any suggestions I can get on how to stay hydrated.

Daisy, you said “I can not seem to want to get out of bed.” Have you talked to your doctor about depression?

How did the surgery go? Are you getting the results you were hoping for? Do you have a good support system? Could your lack of energy be more than physical? Either way, please talk to your doctor.

I agree with my support friends here, talk to you doctor. If you have a physical issue that is keeping you from getting your proper nutrition and hydration that needs to be addressed with your surgeon or doctor. If you just aren't getting enough hydration due to forgetting or lack of thirst, you can set a timer on your phone (or some apps) to remind you. Until you have your energy back, I would suggest drinking protein water (or shakes, whatever you prefer) to give you a boost in nutrition as well. Are you taking your vitamins and getting enough protein in? As for exercise, you can use the elastic bands to build muscle while sitting down, until your energy bounces back. Cans of veggies also make decent starter weights, which can also be done sitting down. But first, you have to get the energy to DO those things so I'm back to harping on calling the doctor. Good luck.

I'm sorry you are going through a tough experience. In addition to contacting your doctor like others have said, you might also want to touch base with a dietician and/or evaluate the food you are eating. I'm not talking about eating too many calories or whatever, but wondering if you are eating foods that are right for you? The right foods can be very strong medicine. About 90-95% of our serotonin and many other hormones that can affect our mood and energy are produced in our gut, and our gut responds best to a very diverse diet. If we aren't eating the right things, it can have a pretty big impact on how we feel. Even if you are following the recommended guidelines provided to you, it might just not be right for you personally. It's just something to consider, but definitely reach out to your bariatric care team and get some feedback. Good luck!

All great points. GypsySoul has a good one- could it be situational depression? Are you grieving the support food provides? I am three days pre-op and am afraid about grieving my best friend and support, food. And do you have face-to-face support? It seems so hard to ask for help, but it's there. There might even be a bariatric support group in person near you.

The people here are generous and very wise. The ideas that have been suggested are diverse and yet easy to accomplish. I agree talking to your bariatric team is a good start. Before surgery I was very non motivated person. I would bargain with myself to do one task a day or week. Hated even doing regular huh chores. Since surgery I have done several projects, with good results. I can say having a good support network makes a huge difference in outlook. Best thoughts are with you as you go through this time.

The people here are generous and very wise. The ideas that have been suggested are diverse and yet easy to accomplish. I agree talking to your bariatric team is a good start. Before surgery I was very non motivated person. I would bargain with myself to do one task a day or week. Hated even doing regular huh chores. Since surgery I have done several projects, with good results. I can say having a good support network makes a huge difference in outlook. Best thoughts are with you as you go through this time.
Thanks for the inspiration, Roni.

can anyone suggest anything?!?!?! I had to give up a good job because I couldn’t stay hydrated and had no energy..... I could use any suggestions that could help me get energy and muscle mass back. Hydration is a problem for me and I could use any suggestions I can get on how to stay hydrated.
Welcome, Daisy.

You're gonna hate this, but believe me, it comes from reality and experience.

You have to force yourself to drink enough water to avoid dehydration. If nothing else works, use force. Get a shot glass and fill and refill it until you feel cold over your stomach skin.

Graduate to a rocks glass and repeat.

Upgrade to a juice glass. Repeat.

Not taking in water is not an option. Dehydration is the least of the horrible things that will happen to the state of your health.

When you're 75, you WILL wish you'd drunk more water.

Stop allowing yourself to fail. Reject the repetitions of anti_water. It's not a big thing. But you have to refuse to allow negatives to be repeated. Just do it.

Everybody complains about healthy water consumption at some point. Why not donuts or candy or overflowing plates of food? Why is it so easy to eat too much food and so hard to drink delicious, health-giving water?

Please believe me, you can change your bad self-talk and do what's good for you. Just stop fighting against positive change.

As to energy, I'd advise you to ask your doctor for a full metabolic panel. There may be an organic problem that needs attention.

And write everything down. It's so much easier to build on positives when you can see them written down. Buy an elegant blank journal and use it only for recording food and water consumption. My food journal is so beautiful, and the words within have power!

I believe in you.

Hi, I can really relate. And everyone who responded had good advice. My surgery was in 2014. I still take all my supplements, visit the Bariatric clinic regularly. I have a therapist and psychiatrist and follow all medical issues with my primary care doctor. I lost 200 lbs. in the first two years. in the last 6 years I have regained 100 lbs. I too am suffering from very low energy. I still track water and protein. I know that my weight gain is due to poor choices and in between meal snacking. Re gaining that much weight has been demoralizing. Because of my issues, I do have a few suggestions. First if you are soar after exercise, it's a good indication that you are over doing it. Start slow. If you haven't been getting much activity, that alone can cause undue fatigue. I started with walking to my mailbox every day. When that became comfortable, I started walking to the dumpster every day That added maybe 100 steps (fifty each direction) You can work out your own routine but start slow. Part of my overeating is due to the Covid-blues. Laugh if you will, but I am a real people person. I am retired and following Covid protocol. The limited time spent with others has increased depression quite a bit. I know I have to work hard to get back in control. I hope you can make the same commitment to yourself. I believe we can both do this! hope you believe it too.

Vitamin b is a good source for energy. There is a water called vitaNourish, I find it at Walmart, local grocery store called HyVee and several of the gas stations. Hubby first started bringing them home at 2.00 - 2.50 per bottle. I pay 0.98 at Walmart per bottle. They are good sturdy recyclable bottles. B12 is not included in this but c and several other b vitamins are. I think that is where I got most of my energy doing my projects last summer.

Vitamin b is a good source for energy. There is a water called vitaNourish, I find it at Walmart, local grocery store called HyVee and several of the gas stations. Hubby first started bringing them home at 2.00 - 2.50 per bottle. I pay 0.98 at Walmart per bottle. They are good sturdy recyclable bottles. B12 is not included in this but c and several other b vitamins are. I think that is where I got most of my energy doing my projects last summer.
Lack of Vitamin B in all its forms especially B12 can cause fatigue. Vitamin D3 is another culprit. Much of our D3 comes from the sun. I take D3 year round, but in the winter I double my dose. Gray skies and shorter days means less sun exposure.

Back