• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I need hiatal hernia surgery but I have to lose weight

March4

I am at 305 lbs. I have a hiatal hernia that is 2cm. My doctor cancelled the appointment and said that I would have to lose to 40 BMI. Right now I am 55 BMI. My insurance will not pay for bariatric surgery. I need bariatric surgery but I don't want to wait a whole year to get two surgeries. I want it all in one segment. I need to have the bariatric surgery with hiatal hernia be fixed as well. Any advice would be helpful!

I don't really have any advice, but I have a massive hiatal hernia and I've been told that I need to get the gastric bypass with it. My doctor is putting it in to the insurance company as hernia surgery, but while they are in there, they are doing the gastric bypass. The insurance company part confuses me. I've basically done all of my pre-op stuff. 3 life skills classes, upper endoscopy and colonoscopy, dietician, psychologist, going through medical clearance now. I was 285.7 at the surgeon's office for my first visit. They said I can't gain any weight and it would be good if I lost some. I think I am a 47 BMI. Good luck to you and I hope you are able to get things figured out!!

Back