• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I rode motorcycle today

Roni

Thinks it has been close to three years since I last rode my motorcycle. Knows it was at least a year before hip surgery replacement. I was afraid my hip/leg would not hold the bike at stops. That is very scarey. I have been scared to get on bike for fear of knocking replacement hip out of joint socket. About three weeks ago I struggled to get leg over and sit on the bike. I did accomplish getting on for a minute, but got right off. I have been thinking of selling the bike for a couple of years but husband was against the idea. So it has been sitting in the garage taking up space. Today I was helping chosen son finally take possession of his bike, which was also in the garage. He had it paid for it in full at least 10 years ago, to husband, who kept using the bike as collateral for loans for different reasons. Chosen son has less riding experience than me and was taking a while to get his bearings. So after some thinking I decided to ride it to his house. 1 it is titled in my name, 2 the insurance is in my name and 3 the plates were last active in 2019. If anyone should be pulled over it should be me. At first when I got on, my good hip started spasms (of course that was no fun). After a min or two they settled down and I took off. Oh the feeling of air and wind in my face was so incredibly joyous. I let loose on the gears and speed limit was 70, it was great. Putting the bike through it’s paces. Only one little bitty opps. At the end of the exit ramp before making my turn, I was trying to set the mirrors and didn’t get the bike in neutral and killed the engine. At least I was stopped. Restarted and all was good. Calling to have my bike serviced need to get on the schedule. …. Will see where this goes.

I know the feeling about the hips ....yikes ! I have a fake one,too and I never know how hard I can push it. It must be awesome to do something you haven't done in 3 years. Now that you know you can do it , I bet you're gonna be zippin' all over now ...I'm happy for you :)

Thank you, first bike has to go in for updated maintenence: tune up, oil change, transmission fluid, break check, battery, probably some fresh gas. Then needs to be checked for any other things husband has tinkered with over the years. The date to be picked up is the 16th for servicing. I will be patient and work on my yard stuff in the meantime.

Other property is done after 7 days of intense landscaping, the handyman has the building secure. Plus I am recovering from some poison vine( ivy, sumac, oak, whatever it was) that fell on me when helping with the windows. the heat and sweat on the affected areas is not helping it clear up. today I started putting ice packs on after the domeburro astringent at my neck. Ask the pharmacy they don’t always put on shelf. Had to get steroid shot because some was right next to my left eye. I get 15 days of steroid pills reducing every five days. The domeburro as a compress has worked amazingly by reducing the irritation.

I will say I am going to be very cautious at first on the bike. Will take a little time to get back in the groove. I used to ride 4-6 hours at a time. I loved group rides and parades. Husband and I went to Sturgis 4 or 5 times. The rides there are incredible, the curves, hills, even th scenery. Badlands, Mount Rushmore, the wedding falls, even the vendors, you can spend a lot of money there. Good news not really a drinker so the bars were not a destination except for exploring. I used to use the bike to commute 109 miles to work on Sunday and back on Friday night during the summer. Misses that job. Well enough for now. Be fun, stay safe, smile like you know something that others don’t.

I know the feeling about the hips ....yikes ! I have a fake one,too and I never know how hard I can push it. It must be awesome to do something you haven't done in 3 years. Now that you know you can do it , I bet you're gonna be zippin' all over now ...I'm happy for you :)
How long since you had hip replaced. My son keeps telling me to try yoga.

Back