• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Ideas on how to satisfy a sweet tooth?

Lesa Marie

My doctor and nutritionist tell me no fruits for an entire year and before when I had tried to lose weight fruits are what kept me from eating unhealthy sugars. I’m still thinking about having an occasional piece of fruits (I don’t think it will slow my weight loss down over 1/2 banana a week lol). I can only eat 1/2 a yogurt a day before I’m sick of it but even that is not satisfying my sweet tooth. Any ideas?

I stil don't understand why a doctor would say that, assuming you are talking about raw fruit like apples, etc.

And my answer is, eat fresh fruits and veggies, not processed with added ingredients or canned in syrup.

I'd also see another doctor immediately.

The federal guidelines suggest something like 5 to 7 servings of vegetables and fruit daily.

Also, I remember being told that I should have a banana a few times a week, since it's hard to get a healthy dose of potassium from any other food source.

Honestly, if my doctor told me not to eat fruit, it would be the last words she ever said to me.

Could you possibly ask your doc for a detailed, scientific explanation you can share here?

I stil don't understand why a doctor would say that, assuming you are talking about raw fruit like apples, etc.

And my answer is, eat fresh fruits and veggies, not processed with added ingredients or canned in syrup.

I'd also see another doctor immediately.

The federal guidelines suggest something like 5 to 7 servings of vegetables and fruit daily.

Also, I remember being told that I should have a banana a few times a week, since it's hard to get a healthy dose of potassium from any other food source.

Honestly, if my doctor told me not to eat fruit, it would be the last words she ever said to me.

Could you possibly ask your doc for a detailed, scientific explanation you can share here?
I asked this exact question to the registered Diatitican and her answer was that our bodies view sugar as sugar regardless if it’s from candy, cookies, cakes or fruits and with that and the carbs it will slow down the weight loss progress during the crucial 1st year after surgery. I get that however I know that if I don’t curve my sweet tooth somehow I’m going to start eating things that have ZERO nutritional value. So I’d rather have fruits on occasion to satisfy that need.

I like sugar free pudding and fudge pops. You can doctor up sugar free pudding the same ways you do protein shakes. My favorite is to add some pumpkin pie spice and canned pumpkin (make sure it's pure pumpkin and not pie filling) to cheesecake pudding. Yum. A squirt of an orange flavored water shot into vanilla is also good. like a dreamsicle.

I have sugar free pudding, sugar free candy, Halo top ice cream, s/f flavored Greek yogurts (there’s a coconut vanilla one that’s AHmazing), and Protein2O water tropical coconut that is really sweet and hits the spot. Those are just a few examples of what I have now at 8 months out. In the beginning I stuck to the yogurts, protein water, and pudding.

I get sugar free ice cream or pies once in awhile but they don’t taste good and don’t sastify my sweet tooth . The only thing I ever use a sweetner in is iced tea . Usually Stevia. I eat small amounts of fruit during the day such as a half a cup of cherries or grapes and at night I like to have a small bowl of chopped up watermelon

I get sugar free ice cream or pies once in awhile but they don’t taste good and don’t sastify my sweet tooth . The only thing I ever use a sweetner in is iced tea . Usually Stevia. I eat small amounts of fruit during the day such as a half a cup of cherries or grapes and at night I like to have a small bowl of chopped up watermelon
That all sounds really good especially the cherries!

I asked this exact question to the registered Diatitican and her answer was that our bodies view sugar as sugar regardless if it’s from candy, cookies, cakes or fruits and with that and the carbs it will slow down the weight loss progress during the crucial 1st year after surgery. I get that however I know that if I don’t curve my sweet tooth somehow I’m going to start eating things that have ZERO nutritional value. So I’d rather have fruits on occasion to satisfy that need.

Everything your dietician said is completely false. That being said, I'm not a dietician, so don't take my word for it, but I'd recommend looking for a dietician who actually understands the science behind it.

My dietician says I can have fresh berries, 1/2 banana, unsweetened applesauce, a few cherries or grapes, and/or sugar free puddings or yogurt. Of course it is recommended focus on proteins first and chew the fruits to the consistency of applesauce and to be careful of the skins on grapes. She said to try different things to see what I can tolerate. I haven't had the surgery yet but I just had a meeting with the dietician today to tell me about all of the foods I can eat after surgery. Good luck. I am sure once I have my surgery, I will be also asking questions. Excited that I should be getting scheduled (RNY) in the next week for sometime in late July or early August.

Your "sweet tooth" is a fake term for an ordinary eating disorder, which all obese people share. IMO, your dietician needs to find another line of work.

We are groomed to treat medical professionals like gods, but if we didn't see through their occasional bullshit, there would be no need for malpractice insurance.

You'd do better to base your diet on internet searches.

This group has tens of thousands of posts over more than a decade of ACTUAL experience. Even though it's not recommended to copy another's journey, it's truly dangerous to ignore reality. Even if your dietician had bariatric surgery, this nutritonal position is FALSE.

Does my 15 years of real, fact-based experience help? I'm not a dietician, but my book research is backed with hugely successful anecdotal living and thousands of posts and contacts in this group where thousands of members have shared over the two years and thee months.

Don't mean to sound like a hammer, but newbies especially need to read truth when they come here looking for help. It's life and death. We're NOT a diet group. We're a group of thousands who've turned to the science of bariatric surgery for answers and support.

Please take the time to find the right answers, and thank you for asking the right questions of veterans of bariatric science in this group.

Eat fruit.:)

I'd ask that nutritionist, "If my body requires 130mg of glucose a day just to maintain proper brain function and I cant have carbs or dairy, where the H E Double Hockey Sticks am I supposed to get glucose in my diet?" When they give you that deer in headlights look, then you know they are pitching a diet fad. Can't eat any fruit, what a buffoon. What's next, no animal protein for vitamin B12? Not like you need that to live either. :rolleyes:

I have to say I am stunned at what some bariatric patients are being told by their medical teams. Is this happening more often in the for profit bariatric centers I wonder? Don’t get me wrong, some are absolutely great places that are invested in your total health and well-being. However, I keep hearing stories like these an it seems some are just focusing on the scale (ie: measurable) and not on total health.

I’m currently still in my post-op liquid phase so no fruit yet. Come the purée phase my RD has no issue with a little unsweetened applesauce or a small amount of puréed banana. In the soft phase I can even advance to things like canned peaches in juice (drained and rinsed a bit). They only thing they told me to avoid for the first year in the fruit category was skins and the pith of citrus. Always protein goes in first but fruit and vegetables are the next and really important to a healthy diet.

I have to say I am stunned at what some bariatric patients are being told by their medical teams. Is this happening more often in the for profit bariatric centers I wonder? Don’t get me wrong, some are absolutely great places that are invested in your total health and well-being. However, I keep hearing stories like these an it seems some are just focusing on the scale (ie: measurable) and not on total health.

I’m currently still in my post-op liquid phase so no fruit yet. Come the purée phase my RD has no issue with a little unsweetened applesauce or a small amount of puréed banana. In the soft phase I can even advance to things like canned peaches in juice (drained and rinsed a bit). They only thing they told me to avoid for the first year in the fruit category was skins and the pith of citrus. Always protein goes in first but fruit and vegetables are the next and really important to a healthy diet.
I couldn’t agree more. Thanks for your response and hope your recovery goes well.

Back