• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Ideas on how to satisfy a sweet tooth?

My doctor and nutritionist tell me no fruits for an entire year and before when I had tried to lose weight fruits are what kept me from eating unhealthy sugars. I’m still thinking about having an occasional piece of fruits (I don’t think it will slow my weight loss down over 1/2 banana a week lol). I can only eat 1/2 a yogurt a day before I’m sick of it but even that is not satisfying my sweet tooth. Any ideas?
Lollipops and popsicles

Identify exactly what it is you want. When you are safe to eat food, eat some of the food you identified, now admit you are satisfied or why you didn't get there.
Is it chocolate or a hug you want or something else? I did live on fruit popsicles post op, didn't do sugar free wasn't eating much anyway.
Stop eating the fantasy food after you feel satisfied listen to your stomach it will tell you when you are full. Mine has been reliable if I listen.

I'm allowed to start eating canned fruit (no syrup of course) in stage 3, pureed with cottage cheese, plus stage 1 baby food including fruit or veggies. I just can't understand anyone calling themself a nutritionist saying all carbs are equally as bad, and no fruit is allowed for 1 year.
Sounds nuts to me. I'd ask two more professionals, then come back to your pros asking for a deeper explanation. Maybe someone misspoke. How are you getting your potassium?

Somehow I feel part of this story is missing or misunderstood. I'm guessing it's the sweet-tooth, which sounds innocent but can be lethal.

Please forgive me, but can you honestly take an inventory of your sugar (all sources, from candy to booze to desserts) and count the values? Sometime sugar is hidden.

What if you removed all sugar from your house, including food with more than 25% sugar content? For instance, juice drinks are loaded with sugar. Chewing gum. Asian foods. There's probably a good website with this info. And I relied on the FDA Food Values algorithm when I was dropping my 115 pounds.

IMO, going without raw, vitamin-rich food is punishing, not health-building.

Google Power Crunch Protein Energy Bars. They are a wafer type protein bar and taste really good. I am still 2 months from having my surgery but I have been ordering things on-line from different bariatric stores simply to try out. I usually order the sample packs so I can try various flavors. The Power Crunch bars have 13 g protein and 5 g sugar. They are 215 calories however. I usually cut mine up into small pieces and have a little piece when I am craving something sweet. I have also ordered sipping broths, teas, nectars, and snacks to sample.

Google Power Crunch Protein Energy Bars. They are a wafer type protein bar and taste really good. I am still 2 months from having my surgery but I have been ordering things on-line from different bariatric stores simply to try out. I usually order the sample packs so I can try various flavors. The Power Crunch bars have 13 g protein and 5 g sugar. They are 215 calories however. I usually cut mine up into small pieces and have a little piece when I am craving something sweet. I have also ordered sipping broths, teas, nectars, and snacks to sample.
I eat these too, they come in some great flavors and are easy to digest

I went hardcore and got the MetRX bars. High in calories, but big protein payoff. I also cut them into 1/4" rectangular boxes and chewed them slowly.

I used a potato peeler to take the chocolate coating off, though. It wasn't just to reduce the calories. It was BAD chocolate. The inner bar is yummy, but that motor-oil they dip it in... yuck!

The peanut butter bar was my favorite.

My doctor and nutritionist tell me no fruits for an entire year and before when I had tried to lose weight fruits are what kept me from eating unhealthy sugars. I’m still thinking about having an occasional piece of fruits (I don’t think it will slow my weight loss down over 1/2 banana a week lol). I can only eat 1/2 a yogurt a day before I’m sick of it but even that is not satisfying my sweet tooth. Any ideas?
Peel your fruits it's the skin and seeds your not supposed to have

I have to say I am stunned at what some bariatric patients are being told by their medical teams. Is this happening more often in the for profit bariatric centers I wonder? Don’t get me wrong, some are absolutely great places that are invested in your total health and well-being. However, I keep hearing stories like these an it seems some are just focusing on the scale (ie: measurable) and not on total health.

I’m currently still in my post-op liquid phase so no fruit yet. Come the purée phase my RD has no issue with a little unsweetened applesauce or a small amount of puréed banana. In the soft phase I can even advance to things like canned peaches in juice (drained and rinsed a bit). They only thing they told me to avoid for the first year in the fruit category was skins and the pith of citrus. Always protein goes in first but fruit and vegetables are the next and really important to a healthy diet.

My pre-op was nothing but fruit juices. My surgeon also says to snack on fruits and vegetables but with no skin or pith as you said. I am equally stunned when I hear that because the medical science is clear cut to why fruits are an essential food group to eat due to antioxidants, packed with vitamins and flavonoids. It's been well studied that fruits ward off diseases, such as heart disease, some forms of cancer and diabetes, for example. I make a fruit-veggie smoothie almost every day with a scoop of protein in it. I love it.

Follow your doctor, allow time to heal, and slowly you'll figure out what you can and cannot eat.

Everyone is different. Post-op, you'll be a different person, but in time, you'll figure out your own restrictions. You'll still have a billion other choices and life will be good!

There's nothing I can't eat, but there are things that challenge me. But you only need to get a wad of food stuck on your esophagus once to figure it out.

More important than what you eat is HOW you chew. And you may need to drink a little water to help, because you may not make enough saliva, or you may need to re-learn the size of a bite. Put down your fork and chew, chew, chew. Only focus on chewing and liquidating and enjoying the flavor. Food is a wonderful thing. Don't abuse it or choke it down. Savor it, make it last, smile and swallow small amounts as it masticates.

It takes me longer to eat half a portion than for others to wolf down a whole meal. If I go to a restaurant, the first thing I order is a doggie bag, and I put most of my food in It before I take one bite. I get 3 or 4 meals from a restaurant order.

I consider that a bonus.

Another thing people should study is the Type of sugar. You'll find one or more type of sugar in almost everything you eat, from raw meat to cotton candy. Dieticians often do a bad job of explaining sugar, and consumers go overboard when they abstain or consume.

It's easy to get obsessed with things we think are bad. We're bombarded with opinion. How old are you? How long have you consumed sugar in those years? How's your life? Are you sick?

I had a dentist who was so fat, he needed two belts buckled together to hold his pants up. He lived to be 100.

Advertising and fads and rumors drown out the truth about food. And this IDEAL Americans have is seen as toxics in nations all over the world.

Get a blood panel to find your actual numbers. Need iron? Calcium? Less sugar? We're complex machines who don't all run on the same fuel.

Back