• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm new here...

nsimon7

My name is Nina. I live in South Jersey outside of Philadelphia.
I made the decision to do this (leaning toward Sleeve, not bypass), and started all my pre-op testing last June... I've been super busy with all the doctor appts and blood work (upper endoscopy, sleep study, starting on CPAP, blood work, radiology - x-rays and swallows. I've done my one on one virtual visit with the nutritionist and I've had the first out of 3 group classes. I still have to see the Cardiologist. Just this week I had my psychiatric screening, and she recommended I find some of these online support platforms. I hope to be done my screening stuff in Mid November, and schedule for mid-December... over the holidays so the missed work will not be too big a deal.
So here is my concern... So far the nutrition info seems really surface and I have no idea what my pre-op or post-op diet will look like yet... and I have no idea what vitamins I will need to be on. Is that normal that they don't really tell you much until right before? I can gather info from this kind of forum, but I don't think it is wise to try to cobble up some plan... they should be telling me. Am I just getting ahead of myself?
Another question: they say you cannot gain weight during the 4-6 month prep time or insurance may not pay. Has anyone had an experience where that happened?
Looking forward to some input... Thanks!

Hello, welcome.
I learned about pre-op and post-op diets in the last few classes I was required to take. Every bariatric team has different versions of these diets so unfortunately you will not get a direct 100% answer. Worse case, if it gets closer to your surgery and you haven't been provided that information then ask. Ask them everything, annoy them! They will get over it. haha Better to have more information than not enough.
My team gives us 2 options of pre-op diet, one being just shakes and calorie free beverages. The other, shakes and a small list of foods and their serving sizes which you are allowed to eat 6 servings a day of. (It was some fresh veggies, SF apple sauce, yogurt, etc)
Post op, is pretty much the same but sometimes the length of time you are in each stage differs. Liquids-pureed-soft foods- transition into a solid "normal" diet.

In regard to the weight gain question, I think it depends on insurance mostly but some surgeons may have their own requirements.
My only requirement was that once I had my "final weight check" before surgery that I could not gain any weight from that point up until the day of surgery. Most people loose weight through this phase because it is also when you go on the strict pre-op diet.

I know it is a little vague but I hope it helps ease your mind.

Hello and welcome! I think they worry that if they tell you during appt 1 that you'll basically be drinking your meals for weeks on end, ppl will drop out. I mean, technically you could lose a lot of weight by not eating for 3-9 weeks!! However, as we all know, you'd gain it right back as soon as you put real food in your mouth. And the 'diet' is really to help your body heal more than to make you lose weight.

I was actually given my pre-op liquid diet by my program.They want to make a sure you are getting all the necessary nutrients. My RnY post op diet is below

Week 1 Clear Liquids
Week 2 Full Liquid
Week 3 Full Liquid
Week 4 Puree
Week 5 Soft Foods
Week 6 Regular Diet

My husband had the sleeve a d had an extra week of clear liquids and an extra 2 weeks of full liquids, due to having the larger area of stomach to heal. The area cut and stapled is about the length of a walnut for bypass and a banana for sleeve.

I have gastric bypass Wednesday, and have been on a liquid diet for 10 days prior. Basically shakes with added protein powder and sugar free drinks. After surgery I go back to the shakes for 10-14 days and then start pureed foods for a week then to soft foods. I only have to do clear liquids for the first day post-op. It sounds like every program is different. I was given a booklet on my first appointment.

I have gastric bypass Wednesday, and have been on a liquid diet for 10 days prior. Basically shakes with added protein powder and sugar free drinks. After surgery I go back to the shakes for 10-14 days and then start pureed foods for a week then to soft foods. I only have to do clear liquids for the first day post-op. It sounds like every program is different. I was given a booklet on my first appointment.
Thanks for your feedback. Good luck in your surgery!

Hi Nina - I live in PA as well (Lancaster County). Good luck with your planning and surgery! I have heard of people that are denied due to gain during the process. Most surgeons minimally require that you maintain weight and a LOT require that you lose during that prep phase (amounts vary, but I have heard as high as 10% of excess weight). You found a lot of great resources via this group!

Back