• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm on the schedule!!

WWWindy

Doc just called. 6/15 is a COVID swab and if all is well surgery Monday, 6/22 at 3:00 pm. O.K. Now I'm scared. Like I'm getting ready to jump out of an airplane knowing the chute will open.... I hope.

Now, I need to arrange respite care for my daughter for a few days and I'll be set to go.

WOO HOO!!!!

Doc just called. 6/15 is a COVID swab and if all is well surgery Monday, 6/22 at 3:00 pm. O.K. Now I'm scared. Like I'm getting ready to jump out of an airplane knowing the chute will open.... I hope.

Now, I need to arrange respite care for my daughter for a few days and I'll be set to go.

WOO HOO!!!!
That is so fantastic Windy, I am so excited for you! Go ahead and jump, the chute WILL open. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that day. That is the same day as my first post-op appt. I will not lie to you, the first five days were rough for me, but everyone's body reacts differently. I most definitely advise that you start walking as soon and as far as you can post-op. Have some suppositories and fiber based laxative on hand. Remember that narcotics are very constipating and sometimes it takes the bowel a little while to "wake up" after surgery. Drink as much liquid as you can to stay hydrated. That is my best advice at this point. I am 6 days post op and finally today feel pretty good, no pain, no nausea, and just getting used to my new system. I am hear if you want to share experiences and again, congrats, I am very happy for you.

Thanks, LDM. The plan is for me to be discharged on Tuesday afternoon after a Monday afternoon surgery. I care for my adult daughter who will be in hospice those two days; she'll come home on Wednesday morning. At least that's what I'm trying to get put together.

In the past couple of days after your surgery, were you able to prepare meals and do that sort of thing? I know I won't be able to lift her in and out of bed or wheel chair, but at least be able to provide the other care. I would like 5 days of respite care for her but I can't afford it and COVID has put a monkey wrench in my plans.

Thanks, LDM. The plan is for me to be discharged on Tuesday afternoon after a Monday afternoon surgery. I care for my adult daughter who will be in hospice those two days; she'll come home on Wednesday morning. At least that's what I'm trying to get put together.

In the past couple of days after your surgery, were you able to prepare meals and do that sort of thing? I know I won't be able to lift her in and out of bed or wheel chair, but at least be able to provide the other care. I would like 5 days of respite care for her but I can't afford it and COVID has put a monkey wrench in my plans.
I don't want to pry where I don't belong, but is your daughter on hospice? Because if she is, she is entitled to 5 days of respite care that is covered by medicare, if she has that.
To answer your question, I came home from the hospital in so much pain, I had to rely on narcotics to get me through the first 3 days at home. It is so weird, I have had several abdominal surgeries in the course of my lifetime and none of them left me with such pain. Now, having said that, I didn't get up and walk right after surgery to help my body absorb the surgical gases they use and that might have been part of my problem. I believe that if I were you, I would try to cook a couple of days prior to surgery and then make up some plates of food that could be microwaved when needed. Cook a big pot of Taco soup or veggie soup, it makes a ton, is wonderful and filling and would last 5-6 days in the fridge. I am sorry, I am making suggestions when I have no idea what your situation is, but you will need some help. You don't want to pop those staples or break open the sutures.

Thanks, LDM. Those are all great ideas. Taco Soup!! That is a staple in my house. I got the recipe while in Weight Watchers and now substitute the vegetarian meat crumbles for really lean hamburger. I could eat it every day.

Vicki does have the 5-days of respite (her picture is my profile pic, the one with her dog, taken last December) but with COVID none of the hospice homes are taking new patients. That darn virus has been kicking me when I'm already down.

Thanks, LDM. Those are all great ideas. Taco Soup!! That is a staple in my house. I got the recipe while in Weight Watchers and now substitute the vegetarian meat crumbles for really lean hamburger. I could eat it every day.

Vicki does have the 5-days of respite (her picture is my profile pic, the one with her dog, taken last December) but with COVID none of the hospice homes are taking new patients. That darn virus has been kicking me when I'm already down.

I am certain you have exhausted all ideas and options, just wondering if you have involved the hospice social worker? They can be pretty crafty. It is a tough world out there right now with COVID. It has touched so many lives outside of just the virus itself. Got you in my thoughts and prayers, that some door will open in the nick of time. Will they consider taking her if she is tested for COVID prior to transfer? Have you asked that question? Sorry, I am a nurse manager for a hospice company so I am just trying to be helpful. We take pts in our inpatient unit from the hospitals if they have a negative test. Worth pursuing if you haven't already traveled down that road.
My wife had a Taco soup recipe that we made before I joined WW and it was really fantastic. I also love the WW version which is only slightly lighter in calories and fat than hers.

Back