• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

I'm on the schedule!!

Thanks to all for your ideas. LDM, your suggestions and comments are very helpful. I am now in contact with my hospice social worker. If I had just read the book they gave me I would have had this all explained to me. Sheesh! I'm really glad you pointed it out.

I am moving forward as though I'll be able to have my surgery. Our state is spiking its COVID cases and hospital admittance so the elective surgeries may be put on hold anyway.

I hope that you are able to find an acceptable solution that will benefit both you and your daughter, giving her the care and attention she needs, while affording you some time to heal a little and concentrate on your needs. Praying for both of you and I also pray that you will slide in under the wire and get your surgery before things lock down again. I am in Texas, and our incidents of covid-19 are rising at alarming rates. I am so glad I hit the window of opportunity just at the right time. Shame on your hospice admission nurse for not fully explaining how it all works. The book is meant to be a guide and to help you if you forget the millions of pieces of information that you are given at time of admission. Sorry, I will step off the soapbox now and not mention it again. I am just ashamed that someone in my industry did not do the job they are tasked to do. Here for you if you ever need a someone to talk to. Good luck to you and I am so happy for you that your surgery is in sight!

LDM, your graciousness is inspiring. I'm not a Christian but I do believe in God. Another one of our members who hasn't posted for a while sent a private message saying she's having a lot of trouble. I'm not going to go into detail because that's her right to privacy. But if you are praying oh, I'm sure she will appreciate it if you send some her way.

And how are you doing?

LDM, your graciousness is inspiring. I'm not a Christian but I do believe in God. Another one of our members who hasn't posted for a while sent a private message saying she's having a lot of trouble. I'm not going to go into detail because that's her right to privacy. But if you are praying oh, I'm sure she will appreciate it if you send some her way.

And how are you doing?
Would it be too much to ask for initials so that when I lift her up in prayer, I can be specific as to who I am praying for? It's not a deal breaker if you can't give me that.....God will know who I am thinking of, with or without initials. I am happy to hold her up as well. I am doing probably as well as one can expect after having their intestines rearranged and stapled back together..lol. I have days that are pain free, which is great. Yesterday, for unknown reasons, I had a bad day. I was downright uncomfortable all day. Not really pain, just really sore all over. I am still struggling with finding the balance between getting 90 gms of liquid protein in me and also get 64 oz of fluids in there as well. I am walking everyday (except yesterday) and overall, I have no complaints. I knew this surgery wouldn't come without some discomfort and some uphill climbs, but I am determined to stay positive, do what my MD has instructed me to do, and come out on the other side. I had a little bit of cream of wheat this morning and you are supposed to make it so that it is "pourable", like a cream soup. So I got the brilliant idea to add some vanilla protein shake to it to thin it out and it was actually delicious! 30 minutes after I am done with the cream of wheat, I will start drinking the rest of the vanilla shake..winner, winner! lol
I also found some pureed recipes to try next Thursday, when I can up my diet to pureed food. Found some cool recipes for pureed chicken salad, pureed egg salad, pureed refried beans, and a ricotta bake.

I can't think of a way to include initials without revealing too much. Can you just call her Lady X? And good for you about the cream of wheat / protein shake idea. You really did maximize your protein intake. Do you know about using magic milk to cook your cream of wheat in instead of water? I don't know if he would have a negative effect on a protein shake but it's possible you could cook your cereal in the liquid. That's what my nutritionist taught me to do. I used magic milk with cream of wheat, creamy soups, and sugar free puddings.

Mix 1 package of Milkman dry milk with one quart nonfat milk and blend it until it is smooth. Do not add water. You will get 16 grams of protein for every 8-oz that you use. The recipe is actually here somewhere amongst the posts but it's just as easy to tell you. Milkman is very expensive and I actually wrote to the company recently and told them they were way too expensive. So you can use any dry powdered milk you want oh, but the taste will not be as good. Plus I do not know how the packet measures up if you're using a packet of Milkman versus a scoop of another brand of powder. So you'd have to read the statistical facts.

I don't want to try to back up to your previous post, but didn't you say you were getting something like 90 grams of protein in a day? My nutritionist told me that women should get 50-70g and men should get 60-80g.

You may already be getting enough protein but if you concentrate your protein by using something like magic milk, you will reduce your calories and you can then add something else to your daily food consumption in order to switch it up.

I am getting 60g by drinking two premiere protein shakes a day. I then try to have something with some protein in it for my 3rd meal. For instance, yesterday I had a shake for breakfast and lunch and made a can of Campbells Tomato soup and used half a can of 1% mild and half a can of water to dilute it down. My mom always made it that way when we were kids. She also put a little slice of butter in it for creaminess but of course, I left that out. My MD has recommended 75 - 90g a day. I am not worrying too much as long as I get 60-70g. I am a little more concerned about getting enough fluid, but I am getting better at that as well. How long ago did you have your surgery? Thanks for the magic milk info. I will write that down and keep that in my back pocket.

Congrats! My wife had her rygb 12 years ago and took off all the weight she could have ever dreamed of and has kept it off for all 12 years. I am excited to have someone go through this journey with me. But I also want to seek out support, encouragement and advice from others out there. Is there ever a time when you wish you had not done it? I have read some posts by folks who are only a month or two out and already have decided they made a huge mistake. I feel bad for them and wonder if they didn't get their heads in the right spot prior to surgery, or just thought it would be a no hassle miracle cure for their eating disorder or maybe that they just don't have anyone in their corner rooting them on. I am thankful for people like yourself who still hang out here to help us nervous newbies get through the beginning of our journey. Thanks.

It really sounds like you're on the right track. And RYGB surgery was the best decision I ever made in my life. I have never regretted it even when I had some problems years later with a busted stitch and a loose staple and some of the recovery was painful because of nerve damage.

I love being thin. I love pretty clothes. I love food and learning new recipes. I love being so healthy (although not so much lately but I will be). I love going to the gym. I love this group. I love what I have learned here. When I'm not feeling so sorry for myself, I really feel the uplifting nature of love and support. And it doesn't even bother me to point out that sometimes I feel sorry for myself. And I am really really really glad YOU'RE here! I hope I didn't forget to say welcome to the group.

I'm so happy you are sharing LDM. My surgery is this month and I'm approaching it with mixed emotions. I guess I'm just getting a bit of cold feet.

You're fortunate to have someone close by who has made this journey. It helps to have support in-the-know. I just rely on my friends here on the board.

And we will be here for you. Everyone's journey is slightly different and personal. My wife had very little pain, at least that is the way she is remembering it, so while she is supportive, she did not go through exactly what I am going through. I waited 12 years to do this because I was scared and not ready to admit that I obviously didn't have what it takes to do it on my own and that I needed some help. I would be concerned for someone who didn't have some mixed emotions going into this surgery. It is a big step and life, as well as, body altering. Just imagine where you could be 2 months post op. I so wish now, that I had pulled the trigger 11-12 years ago when my wife tried to get me to do this. I am glad I have done it now. I hope you make the best decision for you.

And here is the recipe for Magic Milk. If you make anything with milk, try this. You will double your protein and it takes almost no effort at all to do this.

Doc just called. 6/15 is a COVID swab and if all is well surgery Monday, 6/22 at 3:00 pm. O.K. Now I'm scared. Like I'm getting ready to jump out of an airplane knowing the chute will open.... I hope.

Now, I need to arrange respite care for my daughter for a few days and I'll be set to go.

WOO HOO!!!!
Congratulations
Covid-19 swab Monday morning and surgery is Wednesday!! Quite excited

Back