• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

In my head

Hello everybody! I just had the sleeve done on Dec 31st and in the first week I lost 9 pounds but the second week I put a pound back on and stayed there. I'm starting to freak myself out thinking I'm not gonna loose anymore weight and I will have done all this for nothing. Is this normal?

hi Angela
you will start loosing weight again., we all come home from hospital with water weight from the IV's and our bodies go through some major changes, you may loose or gain one week and then all of a sudden have a good weight loss and it seem effortless. Yes we all get scared and wonder what we've done to ourselves. just continue to follow the health plan your dr gave you. don't give up your journey has just began and it's gonna get much better.
Donna

Angela,

Just make sure you get your protein and fluids and walk a lot. the weight will come off. Stick with it and you will see. Don't automatically assume you did something wrong because you probably didn't if you are following your plan from the hospital. Joy

Hey Angela,
I had the sleeve too. I hit a stall about the 3rd week where I didn't lose anything which freaked me out. Got great advice from everyone here. Told me to check my protein intake and my water intake. Both were on the low side. Once I corrected it kicked off the weight loss again. My surgeon did tell me however that the weight loss won't be a steady decline but more like stairs and that there will be plateau stages but to stick with the program. He also said not to expect the same amount of weight loss each week and that's been true as well.

Angela, I just had my surgery on January 8. I came home on 10th, went right to my home scales and would you believe I gained 10 pounds in the hospital. Since being home I have lost 5 of those pounds. I hear you though...I went into hospital at a ten pound loss only to get home and gained 10. Those iv's and the surgery shock can do a number on the scales.

Don't worry the weight will come off. Remember....you have been given the surgery cal tool, now you need the exercise slowly and steady plus modification in eating. That will complete your WLS triangle. Protein is the major key. I just found instant cream of wheat with 7 grams protein and 6 grams of fiber. I plan on making it with unsweetened almond milk. Yummy!!!!! The very best to you in your journey, my friend.

A little something I came across in my research. "A "stall" a few weeks out is inevitable, and here's why.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a saber tooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored."

Back