• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

increase in depression and anger

Wvkmt

I'm a year and 2 months post op and my depression and anger is at an all time high. I'm really struggling with it and don't really know where to turn or what to do. I don't currently have insurance so Blood work is out of the question. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what helped?

Call the local free healthcare clinic for psych. It can take months to get an appt, so the sooner you make the appt, the better. I control my anger and depression with medication, SSRI's specifically. I'm also in therapy. You don't have to suffer, there's help.

Also, this is tough, but avoid triggers. (Turn off the news & social media). Releasing endorphins is helpful. Exercise is extremely beneficial. Anything that releases happy hormones - including but not limited to orgasms. (blush)

Call the local free healthcare clinic for psych. It can take months to get an appt, so the sooner you make the appt, the better. I control my anger and depression with medication, SSRI's specifically. I'm also in therapy. You don't have to suffer, there's help.

Also, this is tough, but avoid triggers. (Turn off the news & social media). Releasing endorphins is helpful. Exercise is extremely beneficial. Anything that releases happy hormones - including but not limited to orgasms. (blush)
I'm on medication but it definitely does not seem to be working. Unfortunately our local free clinic, the Dr only hands out meds, which is not what I want.

Badgy is correct. And you need to find a lot of physical activities you can use to express energy. If you're mad you should go for a Rocky walk. That's the same as a normal walk, except you are punching your fists into the air from your shoulder level and making noises like Grunts and yelling and naming names. There's no reason for you to have depression or anger as a result of bariatric surgery.

You need to figure out what you're angry about, because your anger is most likely leading to your depression. Give it a name and a face. Then use that image as a target for your rage and beat it up. It's good for your psyche and it will also give you some physical activity that will assist in your weight loss.

I have found it very productive to throw myself on my bed and bury my face in the pillow and scream and kick my feet as hard as I can. My neighbors can't hear me because I'm muffling my screams with my pillow. And it always leads to a very productive, purging cry.

Back