• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

introduction

Nickie

Hello, my name is Nickie, I am scheduled to have the gastric sleeve on the 31st. I started my liquid diet yesterday and having a real hard time with this. I am looking for suggestions on ways to get through this week.

Hi, I am Nancy and I am having bypass surgery on the 29 of Jan. I have to do a 2 week liquid diet and have 4 days left. Some days are better than others. You have to take your mind off of it. try reading, something new or just plain walking whatever you can do to take your mind off of food. I know it is hard but think of the end results! A new you! The first few days are the worst. Good luck! Hope your surgery goes well.

Welcome to the group! :) A one week liquid diet, you can do this! Remember you can have sugar free fudge pops if you have a sweet craving, yogurt/cottage cheese/applesauce are all considered liquids and if you don't like the protein shakes you can add unflavored protein powder to soup and broth. You've just got 5 days to go, not long at all, you've got this! Congrats on your new journey and I hope your surgery goes well!

Hi, I am Nancy and I am having bypass surgery on the 29 of Jan. I have to do a 2 week liquid diet and have 4 days left. Some days are better than others. You have to take your mind off of it. try reading, something new or just plain walking whatever you can do to take your mind off of food. I know it is hard but think of the end results! A new you! The first few days are the worst. Good luck! Hope your surgery goes well.
Thank you. Last night was rough but finding this forum was a god send. I can’t imagine two weeks of this. I am finding that my diet is more strict than others. I can only have clear liquid diet foods. That limits me a lot. I do read a lot and I’ll keep doing that. Good luck on your surgery.

Welcome to the group! :) A one week liquid diet, you can do this! Remember you can have sugar free fudge pops if you have a sweet craving, yogurt/cottage cheese/applesauce are all considered liquids and if you don't like the protein shakes you can add unflavored protein powder to soup and broth. You've just got 5 days to go, not long at all, you've got this! Congrats on your new journey and I hope your surgery goes well!

Hello, I have faith I can do this, it’s just very hard. I can’t have a lot of those things you mentioned. I’m on a clear liquid diet. No yogurt, cottage cheese, applesauce or fudge pops. I can have jello, broths, popsicles. I found sugar free hard candy is good. I can’t have caffeine either so my tea and coffee is “unleaded” which leads to headaches. I’m thankful it’s only for a week. Which surgery did you have? My husband had the band and his diet wasn’t this strict.

Your diet sounds like mine. I can't have those things either. I am a diabetic and at the beginning I had some real low readings so I had to take glucagon tablets to bring it back up. Next day the Dr. decreased my insulin so the rest of the diet been OK. I have a birthday party I have to go to on Saturday and this is not going to be fun for me.
There will be a lot of food, none which I can have. Monday will be here before I know it and the this diet will be done and a new journey started.

Remember how you pulled through each day before surgery. That will help you with the stages of food after. Liquid diets with crushed meds...blah. But it'll be worth it. Ya'll got this.

Hello, I have faith I can do this, it’s just very hard. I can’t have a lot of those things you mentioned. I’m on a clear liquid diet. No yogurt, cottage cheese, applesauce or fudge pops. I can have jello, broths, popsicles. I found sugar free hard candy is good. I can’t have caffeine either so my tea and coffee is “unleaded” which leads to headaches. I’m thankful it’s only for a week. Which surgery did you have? My husband had the band and his diet wasn’t this strict.

I had bypass. I did the week only liquid diet, but it wasn't as strict as yours. :( You've got this! Today is your big day! Best wishes we'll be thinking about you!

Hello, My name is Darcy, I took had the bypass on the 31st. I just hope the feeling hungry phase doesn't last too long. Not much pain from the gas, but the hunger is no joke.

Hello, My name is Darcy, I took had the bypass on the 31st. I just hope the feeling hungry phase doesn't last too long. Not much pain from the gas, but the hunger is no joke.

It is really not normal to have hunger after bypass, it may be 'head hunger' if you think of yourself as an 'emotional eater.' Usually hunger is actually dehydration, try drinking water or more of the protein shakes to help curb the hunger thoughts/feelings and hopefully it will help you! Best wishes as you recover!

It is really not normal to have hunger after bypass, it may be 'head hunger' if you think of yourself as an 'emotional eater.' Usually hunger is actually dehydration, try drinking water or more of the protein shakes to help curb the hunger thoughts/feelings and hopefully it will help you! Best wishes as you recover!
Thank you for your response. Seems a bit better today last night I could hear and feel my stomach growling. I am watching my water intake and protein shakes are not approved items in my list.
Thank you

Thank you for your response. Seems a bit better today last night I could hear and feel my stomach growling. I am watching my water intake and protein shakes are not approved items in my list.
Thank you

What kind of protein supplements are you using to get to your protein goals daily? I've never heard of protein shakes not being approved before. Glad your better today!

Back